haskell platform broken in ubuntu

Rustom Mody
I just upgraded my ubuntu laptop to 13.04 and haskell platform is gone!!

http://askubuntu.com/questions/286764/how-to-install-haskell-platform-for-ubuntu-13-04

What is the current status on this?
Is 13.10 going to correct this?

Re: haskell platform broken in ubuntu

Vagif Verdi
13.04 has packages for ghc 7.6.2

It is easy to install latest haskell platform though.

Just run this script: https://github.com/chrisprobst/ubuntu-raring-haskell

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Vagif Verdi <[hidden email]> wrote:
13.04 has packages for ghc 7.6.2

It is easy to install latest haskell platform though.

Just run this script: https://github.com/chrisprobst/ubuntu-raring-haskell

I was hoping that something a little less painful than a full from-source install is available/known.

At  http://askubuntu.com/questions/286764/how-to-install-haskell-platform-for-ubuntu-13-04
I find this -- basically the platform dependencies seem to have been made explicit.

sudo apt-get install ghc alex cabal-install happy libghc-cgi-dev libghc-fgl-dev libghc-glut-dev libghc-haskell-src-dev libghc-html-dev libghc-http-dev libghc-hunit-dev libghc-mtl-dev libghc-network-dev libghc-opengl-dev libghc-parallel-dev libghc-parsec3-dev  libghc-quickcheck2-dev libghc-regex-base-dev libghc-regex-compat-dev  libghc-regex-posix-dev libghc-stm-dev libghc-syb-dev  libghc-text-dev  libghc-transformers-dev  libghc-xhtml-dev libghc-zlib-dev

I was wondering if others know it as an ok approach or are there problems?

Rusi

Re: haskell platform broken in ubuntu

Vagif Verdi
That will give you only ghc 7.6.2. If you want latest haskell-platform, source compile is the only option. And btw it is not THAT painful :)
You run the script, wait 2-3 minutes and tada!

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Vagif Verdi <[hidden email]> wrote:
That will give you only ghc 7.6.2. If you want latest haskell-platform, source compile is the only option. And btw it is not THAT painful :)
You run the script, wait 2-3 minutes and tada!

seems to say that compiling from source takes like two full nights!!

Am I missing something?

Re: haskell platform broken in ubuntu

Shrivats

Rustom,

I've not looked at your forums link, what Vagif might be referring to is, since you've already got your compiler installed, installing the platform is /just/ compiling the remaining modules that are part of the platform. Of course, building the compiler from source would take a very long time. :-)

Shrivats

On Oct 5, 2013 10:50 AM, "Rustom Mody" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Vagif Verdi <[hidden email]> wrote:
That will give you only ghc 7.6.2. If you want latest haskell-platform, source compile is the only option. And btw it is not THAT painful :)
You run the script, wait 2-3 minutes and tada!

seems to say that compiling from source takes like two full nights!!

Am I missing something?

Re: haskell platform broken in ubuntu

Vagif Verdi
Oops my bad. The script downloads and installs binary, already compiled ghc.

So it certainly does not take 2 hours, i just did it on 2 computers and it takes less than a couple of minutes. I did not though install the entire haskell platform, only ghc itself.