haskell platform questions

Warren Harris
I installed haskell platform some time ago, and now I'm wondering what
version I have. How do I find out?

Also, when the new one comes along on the 21st, is there a way to
upgrade? Or if I must first uninstall the one I have now, how do I
uninstall it?

Is it recommended to periodically upgrade packages that came with the
platform (cabal upgrade), or is it recommended that they be left alone
to avoid dependency incompatibilities. Similar question for ghc itself
-- can/should it be upgraded in the context of haskell platform?  (I
was hoping to try Leksah, but it dies without ghc 6.12.1. I seem to
have 6.10.4.)

Apologies in advance if this is all documented somewhere, but I
couldn't find it on the haskell platform site/trac. BTW, I'm on Mac/
Leopard -- love the fact that it didn't take hours to build everything!

Warren

Re: haskell platform questions

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 18 March 2010 15:07, Warren Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Apologies in advance if this is all documented somewhere, but I couldn't
> find it on the haskell platform site/trac. BTW, I'm on Mac/Leopard -- love
> the fact that it didn't take hours to build everything!

I have no real knowledge about how the OSX installer works, but since
it's an all-in-one installer I would think that you can't selectively
upgrade parts of it, etc.  Also, whilst it might be possible to have
two versions installed in parallel, it would probably be better to
uninstall the old one first before installing the new one (not sure if
the installer does this for you).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
jrv

Re: haskell platform questions

jrv
I'm also on Mac Leopard.  I tried installing ghc 6.12 with Haskell
Platform 2009.2.9.2-i386.dmg (ghc 6.10.4) for some reason, and ran into
a bunch of problems (problems to me, anyway).  I ended up uninstalling 6.12
and reinstalling haskell platform.  Uninstall is easy, there is an
uninstaller script in /Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Tools.
(strangely, not in ..Frameworks/HaskellPaltform.framework).

I'm still using Leopard, but would like to move to Snow Leopard once I get
a few things out of the way.  But I see that there are (or were) some tricks in
getting ghc to work on OS X 10.6, apparently.  These seem to be well
documented, but, I'd rather spend the time on my own projects.

Best,

John V.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 09:07:03PM -0700, Warren Harris wrote:

> I installed haskell platform some time ago, and now I'm wondering what
> version I have. How do I find out?
>
> Also, when the new one comes along on the 21st, is there a way to upgrade?
> Or if I must first uninstall the one I have now, how do I uninstall it?
>
> Is it recommended to periodically upgrade packages that came with the
> platform (cabal upgrade), or is it recommended that they be left alone to
> avoid dependency incompatibilities. Similar question for ghc itself --
> can/should it be upgraded in the context of haskell platform?  (I was
> hoping to try Leksah, but it dies without ghc 6.12.1. I seem to have
> 6.10.4.)
>
> Apologies in advance if this is all documented somewhere, but I couldn't
> find it on the haskell platform site/trac. BTW, I'm on Mac/Leopard -- love
> the fact that it didn't take hours to build everything!
>
> Warren

Re: haskell platform questions

Warren Harris
I downloaded the new haskell-platform-2010.1.0.0-i386.dmg today... ran
the uninstaller, ghc installer and the platform installer. When I run
ghci, it seems to work fine, but when I try cabal, I get this crash:

$ cabal --version
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap

Any suggestions? (I'm on 10.5.8). Maybe I'll try the macport install
process instead.

Thanks for your help,

Warren

On Mar 18, 2010, at 9:26 AM, John Velman wrote:

> I'm also on Mac Leopard.  I tried installing ghc 6.12 with Haskell
> Platform 2009.2.9.2-i386.dmg (ghc 6.10.4) for some reason, and ran
> into
> a bunch of problems (problems to me, anyway).  I ended up
> uninstalling 6.12
> and reinstalling haskell platform.  Uninstall is easy, there is an
> uninstaller script in /Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Tools.
> (strangely, not in ..Frameworks/HaskellPaltform.framework).
>
> I'm still using Leopard, but would like to move to Snow Leopard once
> I get
> a few things out of the way.  But I see that there are (or were)
> some tricks in
> getting ghc to work on OS X 10.6, apparently.  These seem to be well
> documented, but, I'd rather spend the time on my own projects.
>
> Best,
>
> John V.
>

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 09:07:03PM -0700, Warren Harris wrote:
>> I installed haskell platform some time ago, and now I'm wondering
>> what
>> version I have. How do I find out?
>>
>> Also, when the new one comes along on the 21st, is there a way to
>> upgrade?
>> Or if I must first uninstall the one I have now, how do I uninstall
>> it?
>>
>> Is it recommended to periodically upgrade packages that came with the
>> platform (cabal upgrade), or is it recommended that they be left
>> alone to
>> avoid dependency incompatibilities. Similar question for ghc itself
>> --
>> can/should it be upgraded in the context of haskell platform?  (I was
>> hoping to try Leksah, but it dies without ghc 6.12.1. I seem to have
>> 6.10.4.)
>>
>> Apologies in advance if this is all documented somewhere, but I
>> couldn't
>> find it on the haskell platform site/trac. BTW, I'm on Mac/Leopard
>> -- love
>> the fact that it didn't take hours to build everything!
>>
>> Warren

Re: haskell platform questions

Gregory Collins-3
Warren Harris <[hidden email]> writes:

> I downloaded the new haskell-platform-2010.1.0.0-i386.dmg today... ran the
> uninstaller, ghc installer and the platform installer. When I run  ghci, it
> seems to work fine, but when I try cabal, I get this crash:
>
> $ cabal --version
> dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> Any suggestions? (I'm on 10.5.8). Maybe I'll try the macport install process
> instead.

Is anyone else still on Leopard who can test this? I am worried that the
binaries (which were linked on Snow Leopard) are not working on Leopard.

Gregory Collins <[hidden email]>

Re: haskell platform questions

Don Stewart-2
You should file a bug on the Haskell Platform bug tracker.

    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_Platform#Trouble_shooting

And I'm CC'ing the dmg maintainer -- it may also be a GHC issue as well.

-- Don

warrensomebody:

> I downloaded the new haskell-platform-2010.1.0.0-i386.dmg today... ran
> the uninstaller, ghc installer and the platform installer. When I run
> ghci, it seems to work fine, but when I try cabal, I get this crash:
>
> $ cabal --version
> dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> Any suggestions? (I'm on 10.5.8). Maybe I'll try the macport install
> process instead.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Warren
>
> On Mar 18, 2010, at 9:26 AM, John Velman wrote:
>
>> I'm also on Mac Leopard.  I tried installing ghc 6.12 with Haskell
>> Platform 2009.2.9.2-i386.dmg (ghc 6.10.4) for some reason, and ran
>> into
>> a bunch of problems (problems to me, anyway).  I ended up uninstalling
>> 6.12
>> and reinstalling haskell platform.  Uninstall is easy, there is an
>> uninstaller script in /Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Tools.
>> (strangely, not in ..Frameworks/HaskellPaltform.framework).
>>
>> I'm still using Leopard, but would like to move to Snow Leopard once I
>> get
>> a few things out of the way.  But I see that there are (or were) some
>> tricks in
>> getting ghc to work on OS X 10.6, apparently.  These seem to be well
>> documented, but, I'd rather spend the time on my own projects.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> John V.
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 09:07:03PM -0700, Warren Harris wrote:
>>> I installed haskell platform some time ago, and now I'm wondering
>>> what
>>> version I have. How do I find out?
>>>
>>> Also, when the new one comes along on the 21st, is there a way to
>>> upgrade?
>>> Or if I must first uninstall the one I have now, how do I uninstall
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Is it recommended to periodically upgrade packages that came with the
>>> platform (cabal upgrade), or is it recommended that they be left
>>> alone to
>>> avoid dependency incompatibilities. Similar question for ghc itself
>>> --
>>> can/should it be upgraded in the context of haskell platform?  (I was
>>> hoping to try Leksah, but it dies without ghc 6.12.1. I seem to have
>>> 6.10.4.)
>>>
>>> Apologies in advance if this is all documented somewhere, but I
>>> couldn't
>>> find it on the haskell platform site/trac. BTW, I'm on Mac/Leopard
>>> -- love
>>> the fact that it didn't take hours to build everything!
>>>
>>> Warren

Re: haskell platform questions

wren ng thornton
Gregory Collins wrote:

> Warren Harris <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I downloaded the new haskell-platform-2010.1.0.0-i386.dmg today... ran the
>> uninstaller, ghc installer and the platform installer. When I run  ghci, it
>> seems to work fine, but when I try cabal, I get this crash:
>>
>> $ cabal --version
>> dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
>> Trace/BPT trap
>>
>> Any suggestions? (I'm on 10.5.8). Maybe I'll try the macport install process
>> instead.
>
> Is anyone else still on Leopard who can test this? I am worried that the
> binaries (which were linked on Snow Leopard) are not working on Leopard.

I'm still on 10.5.8. I don't have cabal-install installed yet, but I
just installed GHC-6.12.1/HP-2010.1.0.0. I can verify that ghci works
fine so far. I'll check out cabal-install in the next couple days.

--
Live well,
~wren

wren ng thornton <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'm still on 10.5.8. I don't have cabal-install installed yet, but I just
> installed GHC-6.12.1/HP-2010.1.0.0. I can verify that ghci works fine so
> far. I'll check out cabal-install in the next couple days.

If there is an issue here it'd be with the binaries that ship with the
platform, not GHC; can you check /usr/local/bin/cabal to see if yours
has the same issue?

I'm betting I probably have to re-link the binaries with some magic "don't
break on Leopard" linker flag.

Gregory Collins <[hidden email]>

Re: haskell platform questions

Warren Harris
BTW, I started to try the macports method (thinking that maybe
building on my machine would resolve the linker problem), but the
package up there seems to be the old one:

$ port info haskell-platform
haskell-platform @2009.2.0.2 (devel, haskell)

standard Haskell distribution for every system. The Haskell Platform
is a blessed library and tool suite for Haskell distilled from
                       Hackage.
Homepage:             http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/

Runtime Dependencies: ghc, hs-platform-cgi, hs-platform-fgl, hs-
platform-editline, hs-platform-GLUT, hs-platform-haskell-src, hs-
platform-html, hs-platform-HUnit, hs-platform-mtl, hs-platform-network,
                       hs-platform-OpenGL, hs-platform-parallel, hs-
platform-parsec, hs-platform-QuickCheck, hs-platform-regex-base, hs-
platform-regex-compat, hs-platform-regex-posix, hs-platform-stm,
                       hs-platform-time, hs-platform-xhtml, hs-
platform-zlib, hs-platform-HTTP, hs-platform-alex, hs-platform-happy,
hs-platform-cabal
Platforms:            darwin
License:              unknown
Maintainers:          [hidden email]

Maybe the dependencies haven't changed?

Also, not a big deal, but the instructions for the dmg version here http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/new/mac.html
  page say to follow the instructions, but there aren't any packaged
with it. I mistakenly ran the "Haskell Platform 2010.1.0.0" installer
first thinking that maybe it would install ghc as a dependency, but
this crashed. Then I uninstalled everything, installed GHC-6.12.1-
i386.pkg, then "Haskell Platform 2010.1.0.0", and rebooted... and then
experienced the cabal problem.

BTW, there's some description of linker flags here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2151112
  but the developer claims 10.5.8 solved his problems (that's what I'm
on).

Warren

On Mar 22, 2010, at 7:45 AM, Gregory Collins wrote:

> wren ng thornton <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I'm still on 10.5.8. I don't have cabal-install installed yet, but
>> I just
>> installed GHC-6.12.1/HP-2010.1.0.0. I can verify that ghci works
>> fine so
>> far. I'll check out cabal-install in the next couple days.
>
> If there is an issue here it'd be with the binaries that ship with the
> platform, not GHC; can you check /usr/local/bin/cabal to see if yours
> has the same issue?
>
> I'm betting I probably have to re-link the binaries with some magic
> "don't
> break on Leopard" linker flag.

> Gregory Collins <[hidden email]>

Re: haskell platform questions

Gregory Collins-3
Warren Harris <[hidden email]> writes:

> Then I uninstalled everything, installed GHC-6.12.1- i386.pkg, then
> "Haskell Platform 2010.1.0.0", and rebooted... and then experienced
> the cabal problem.
>
> BTW, there's some description of linker flags here:
> http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2151112 but the
> developer claims 10.5.8 solved his problems (that's what I'm on).

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll cut a new release shortly.

Gregory Collins wrote:
> wren ng thornton <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I'm still on 10.5.8. I don't have cabal-install installed yet, but I just
>> installed GHC-6.12.1/HP-2010.1.0.0. I can verify that ghci works fine so
>> far. I'll check out cabal-install in the next couple days.
>
> If there is an issue here it'd be with the binaries that ship with the
> platform, not GHC; can you check /usr/local/bin/cabal to see if yours
> has the same issue?

wren@semiramis:~ $ ls /usr/local
ls: /usr/local: No such file or directory
wren@semiramis:~ $ ls /usr/bin/cabal
ls: /usr/bin/cabal: No such file or directory

But http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/new/contents.html tells me
cabal-install is supposed to ship with the platform...

--
Live well,
~wren

On 23 March 2010 14:25, wren ng thornton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> wren@semiramis:~ $ ls /usr/local
> ls: /usr/local: No such file or directory
> wren@semiramis:~ $ ls /usr/bin/cabal
> ls: /usr/bin/cabal: No such file or directory
>

> But http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/new/contents.html tells me
> cabal-install is supposed to ship with the platform...

It is; where did you install it to though?  Does "whereis cabal" say anything?

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Re: haskell platform questions

Gregory Collins-3
wren ng thornton <[hidden email]> writes:

> wren@semiramis:~ $ ls /usr/local
> ls: /usr/local: No such file or directory
> wren@semiramis:~ $ ls /usr/bin/cabal
> ls: /usr/bin/cabal: No such file or directory
>
> But http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/new/contents.html tells me
> cabal-install is supposed to ship with the platform...

It should; there's an installation script that's *supposed* to put a
symlink into /usr/local/bin/cabal from
/Library/Frameworks/HaskellPlatform.framework/bin/.

Binaries should be there regardless.

Gregory Collins wrote:

> wren ng thornton <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> wren@semiramis:~ $ ls /usr/local
>> ls: /usr/local: No such file or directory
>> wren@semiramis:~ $ ls /usr/bin/cabal
>> ls: /usr/bin/cabal: No such file or directory
>>
>> But http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/new/contents.html tells me
>> cabal-install is supposed to ship with the platform...
>
> It should; there's an installation script that's *supposed* to put a
> symlink into /usr/local/bin/cabal from
> /Library/Frameworks/HaskellPlatform.framework/bin/.
>
> Binaries should be there regardless.

Looks like they are. Perhaps the script is missing a `mkdir -p
/usr/local/bin` ?  Does the installer keep a log anywhere? (Looks like
neither GHC nor HP give installation receipts...)

--
Live well,
~wren

Don Stewart wrote:

> You should file a bug on the Haskell Platform bug tracker.
>
>     http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_Platform#Trouble_shooting
>
> And I'm CC'ing the dmg maintainer -- it may also be a GHC issue as well.
>
> -- Don
>
> warrensomebody:
>> I downloaded the new haskell-platform-2010.1.0.0-i386.dmg today... ran
>> the uninstaller, ghc installer and the platform installer. When I run
>> ghci, it seems to work fine, but when I try cabal, I get this crash:
>>
>> $ cabal --version
>> dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
>> Trace/BPT trap

Same thing here.

wren@semiramis:~ $ cabal --version
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap

OSX = 10.5.8
CPU = Core 2 Duo

--
Live well,
~wren
jrv

Re: haskell platform questions

jrv
I had the same problem -- downloaded and installed the new Haskell
Platform, and when I tried cabal I got the: dyld .... error.  I'm also
on OS X 10.5.8.  Also, ghc users guide appears to be missing.

I filed a bug report.  To solve the cabal problem I got
      cabal-install version 0.9.0
      using version 1.9.0 of the Cabal library

from darcs, and put  symlink to ~/.cabal/bin/cabal for /usr/local/bin/cabal

Now I'm happy (so far) with ghc 6.12.1 and platform 2010.1.0.0

Best,

John V.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 03:36:46AM -0400, wren ng thornton wrote:

> Don Stewart wrote:
>> You should file a bug on the Haskell Platform bug tracker.
>>
>>     http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_Platform#Trouble_shooting
>>
>> And I'm CC'ing the dmg maintainer -- it may also be a GHC issue as well.
>>
>> -- Don
>>
>> warrensomebody:
>>> I downloaded the new haskell-platform-2010.1.0.0-i386.dmg today... ran
>>> the uninstaller, ghc installer and the platform installer. When I run
>>> ghci, it seems to work fine, but when I try cabal, I get this crash:
>>>
>>> $ cabal --version
>>> dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
>>> Trace/BPT trap
>
> Same thing here.
>
> wren@semiramis:~ $ cabal --version
> dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> OSX = 10.5.8
> CPU = Core 2 Duo
>

> --
> Live well,
> ~wren

Re: haskell platform questions

Don Stewart-2
velman:

> I had the same problem -- downloaded and installed the new Haskell
> Platform, and when I tried cabal I got the: dyld .... error.  I'm also
> on OS X 10.5.8.  Also, ghc users guide appears to be missing.
>
> I filed a bug report.  To solve the cabal problem I got
>       cabal-install version 0.9.0
>       using version 1.9.0 of the Cabal library
>
> from darcs, and put  symlink to ~/.cabal/bin/cabal for /usr/local/bin/cabal
>
> Now I'm happy (so far) with ghc 6.12.1 and platform 2010.1.0.0

Duncan, is this a known issue?

Don Stewart <[hidden email]> writes:

> velman:
>> I had the same problem -- downloaded and installed the new Haskell
>> Platform, and when I tried cabal I got the: dyld .... error.  I'm also
>> on OS X 10.5.8.  Also, ghc users guide appears to be missing.
>>
>> I filed a bug report.  To solve the cabal problem I got
>>       cabal-install version 0.9.0
>>       using version 1.9.0 of the Cabal library
>>
>> from darcs, and put  symlink to ~/.cabal/bin/cabal for /usr/local/bin/cabal
>>
>> Now I'm happy (so far) with ghc 6.12.1 and platform 2010.1.0.0
>
> Duncan, is this a known issue?

It's a known issue, and it's mine. If you (naively) just expect to link
on Snow Leopard without passing any special backwards-compatibility
flags, and have things work on Leopard, well, Apple has news for you.

Gregory Collins <[hidden email]>

Re: haskell platform questions

Malcolm Wallace
> It's a known issue, and it's mine. If you (naively) just expect to
> link on Snow Leopard without passing any special backwards-
> compatibility flags, and have things work on Leopard, well, Apple
> has news for you.

gcc -mmacox-version-min=10.5.8  ?

Regards,
     Malcolm

Malcolm Wallace <[hidden email]> writes:

>> It's a known issue, and it's mine. If you (naively) just expect to link on
>> Snow Leopard without passing any special backwards-
>> compatibility flags, and have things work on Leopard, well, Apple has news
>> for you.
>
> gcc -mmacox-version-min=10.5.8  ?

Something like that, on both gcc and ld; I think you also need a
"-isysroot /blah.sdk" GCC option (unless that's only for Cocoa-specific
stuff, I'm not sure).

I've been dreading it but I think I'm going to have to dig out my
Leopard CD and run it in a VM.

Gregory Collins <[hidden email]>