hiring PureScript coder

Dennis Raddle
Hello list,

I'm have many years of Python/C++ programming experience professionally, and I've used Haskell in my hobbies. But I'm now working full time as a math tutor. Every day I get ideas for a web app that could help me teach math, and maybe could eventually be for sale in the app store.

I'd like to write version 0.1 of this in PureScript. And because I have more money than time at this point, I'd like to hire someone to get me started. I'm thinking of asking for the following:

- set up a PureScript project that integrates with React

- write code that demonstrates using the kinds of features I'll need, like React features, the HTML5 canvas, and JavaScript math notation libraries.

- be available for a couple of Skype or Hangouts meetings as I look over this and have questions

Can I get some suggestions as to where to find willing PureScript programmers, and a ballpark number of hours for this? I mean just an order of magnitude... is this closer to 5 hours, 10 hours, or 50 hours?

Re: hiring PureScript coder

Alfred Matthews
Hello Dennis,

Have you tried estimating this carefully in one week sprints or numbered milestones, and attaching an estimated effort,

cost, or, budget, to each?

Don't go reading The Lean Startup ir anything, simply plot it out in JIRA, Pivotal Tracker, etc.

GitHub also has some of these tools.

Alfred Matthews

[hidden email]

On Wed, May 16, 2018, 2:26 AM Dennis Raddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Michael,

Here's my reasoning. Note that I'm not an expert on any of this.

I'm choosing Purescript over Elm (or Reflex) because it has been described to me as a fuller implementation of functional programming, in particular Elm lacks type classes.

I'm choosing React because I've been told by several people it's the best way to create a Javascript application that can be packaged for mobile or i.e. a self-contained app.

I don't have many more reasons than that.

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:26 PM, Michael Litchard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Leandro Ostera
I’d point you right at ReasonML then — Ocaml dressed as JavaScript 🙌🏼

And the ReasonReact bindings of course.

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:13 PM, Leandro Ostera <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’d point you right at ReasonML then — Ocaml dressed as JavaScript 🙌🏼

And the ReasonReact bindings of course.

I should add that I don't want to learn another language... my time is already limited enough. My Haskell experience should make Purescript easy, and the way Purescript fits elegantly with JavaScript should mean that I can learn what I need to about JS libraries, and incorporate them, without any inefficiency.

Learning OCaml, however... too much. With Scala, I learned that a combo OO/FP language requires a lot of effort to master... it's not just a matter of knowing FP and knowing OO and then assuming you can mix them expertly. It's really an entirely new category of language.

I would be willing to consider another Haskell-like language in place of Purescript, and a framework other than React.

Re: hiring PureScript coder

Tom Ellis
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:56:57PM -0700, Dennis Raddle wrote:
> I'm choosing Purescript over Elm (or Reflex) because it has been described
> to me as a fuller implementation of functional programming, in particular
> Elm lacks type classes.

Did you know that Reflex is a Haskell library?

    https://hackage.haskell.org/package/reflex

Re: hiring PureScript coder

Alfred Matthews
I don't see any reason not to use PureScript, if you don't simply want to do architecture in JavaScript, in a functional style.

Underscore, for JavaScript, is minimal and lightweight and you don't have to rely on compilers that remain experimental. It's experimental enough, writing JavaScript. But, you can leverage PureScript's Haskell-like-to JavaScript compilation workflow, much as one might for ClojureScript, and then, remaining in the Haskell ecosystem under Haskell-style BSD rather than BDFL community licensing, proceed to develop your own IP such that you can write maintainable JavaScript or Haskell code, with Purescript.

Just my 2c

Al

On Wed, 16 May 2018 at 16:24 Dennis Raddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I was looking at this: https://github.com/mozilla/reflex

Wrong Reflex?

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:51 PM, Tom Ellis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:56:57PM -0700, Dennis Raddle wrote:
> I'm choosing Purescript over Elm (or Reflex) because it has been described
> to me as a fuller implementation of functional programming, in particular
> Elm lacks type classes.

Did you know that Reflex is a Haskell library?

    https://hackage.haskell.org/package/reflex

Re: hiring PureScript coder

Brandon Allbery
In the Haskell community, "Reflex" usually means https://github.com/reflex-frp/reflex-platform .