Quantcast

hledger subcommand detection, RFC

Simon Michael
When I split up the hledger package, I always intended to make the hledger program act as a single front end for hledger-* executables. I finally got around to trying that, just pushed to darcs [1]. So hledger now searches your PATH at startup and offer any hledger-* executables as subcommands. To make this fully modular, so that options can be reused and third-party add-ons don't need to be baked in to hledger in any way, there has also been a rather extensive options overhaul, using cmdargs. Below is an example [2] of the new help output with all hledger-* packages plus a local hledger-report.hs script installed.

I'm not sure if this is fully safe, cross-platform, robust, quick enough to be unnoticeable, etc. I have about 20 dirs and 4k files in my PATH. I haven't noticed a slowdown on macbook or vps, but have not measured. More testing of this on diverse platforms and machines, or code review, would be very welcome.

-Simon

[2]
$ hledger
hledger [COMMAND] ... [OPTIONS]
  run the specified hledger command. hledger COMMAND --help for more detail.
  In general, COMMAND should precede OPTIONS.

Misc commands:
  add       prompt for new transactions and append them to the journal
  convert   show the specified CSV file as hledger journal entries
  test      run self-tests, or just the ones matching REGEXPS

Report commands:
  accounts  (or balance) show matched accounts and their balances
  entries   (or print) show matched journal entries
  postings  (or register) show matched postings and running total
  activity  show a barchart of transactions per interval
  stats     show quick statistics for a journal (or part of it)

Add-on commands found:
  chart     [-- OPTIONS]   run the hledger-chart program
  interest  [-- OPTIONS]   run the hledger-interest program
  report    [-- OPTIONS]   run the hledger-report program
  vty       [-- OPTIONS]   run the hledger-vty program
  web       [-- OPTIONS]   run the hledger-web program

  -? --help     Display help message
     --debug    Show extra debug output
  -V --version  Print version information

Re: hledger subcommand detection, RFC

Conrad Parker
Hi Simon,

good stuff! this is the same approach that eg. git uses, it seems to
be quite flexible.

I did a similar thing for a C project called oggz a while back:

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/ogg-dev/2008-August/001110.html

some other useful things you could add:

  * a "help" subcommand built-in to the hledger wrapper, which
basically translates eg "hledger help report" into "man
hledger-report" or "hledger-report --help" (depending on availability,
platform etc.)

  * an option to all commands that lists out all its available
options, to aid with shell completion. See the link I posted above
about the oggz tools for an example usage and a link to a bash
completion file.

I wrapped up some manpage generation code in a package called
ui-command, which is kind of orthogonal to cmdargs (ui-command just
deals with subcommands). Example commands are often useful, so I added
those, with validity checking, to hogg (a Haskell version of oggz).
Some related posts:

http://blog.kfish.org/2008/03/release-hogg-040.html
http://blog.kfish.org/2008/12/release-hogg-041.html

cheers,

Conrad.

On 26 August 2011 08:22, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I split up the hledger package, I always intended to make the hledger
> program act as a single front end for hledger-* executables. I finally got
> around to trying that, just pushed to darcs [1]. So hledger now searches
> your PATH at startup and offer any hledger-* executables as subcommands. To
> make this fully modular, so that options can be reused and third-party
> add-ons don't need to be baked in to hledger in any way, there has also been
> a rather extensive options overhaul, using cmdargs. Below is an
> example [2] of the new help output with all hledger-* packages plus a local
> hledger-report.hs script installed.
> I'm not sure if this is fully safe, cross-platform, robust, quick enough to
> be unnoticeable, etc. I have about 20 dirs and 4k files in my PATH. I
> haven't noticed a slowdown on macbook or vps, but have not measured. More
> testing of this on diverse platforms and machines, or code review, would be
> very welcome.
> -Simon
> [1] http://joyful.com/darcsden/simon/hledger/browse/hledger/Hledger/Cli/Options.hs#L-330
> [2]
> $ hledger
> hledger [COMMAND] ... [OPTIONS]
>   run the specified hledger command. hledger COMMAND --help for more detail.
>   In general, COMMAND should precede OPTIONS.
> Misc commands:
>   add       prompt for new transactions and append them to the journal
>   convert   show the specified CSV file as hledger journal entries
>   test      run self-tests, or just the ones matching REGEXPS
> Report commands:
>   accounts  (or balance) show matched accounts and their balances
>   entries   (or print) show matched journal entries
>   postings  (or register) show matched postings and running total
>   activity  show a barchart of transactions per interval
>   stats     show quick statistics for a journal (or part of it)
> Add-on commands found:
>   chart     [-- OPTIONS]   run the hledger-chart program
>   interest  [-- OPTIONS]   run the hledger-interest program
>   report    [-- OPTIONS]   run the hledger-report program
>   vty       [-- OPTIONS]   run the hledger-vty program
>   web       [-- OPTIONS]   run the hledger-web program
>   -? --help     Display help message
>      --debug    Show extra debug output
>   -V --version  Print version information

Re: hledger subcommand detection, RFC

Simon Michael
Thanks Conrad! Those are some great links.

> I wrapped up some manpage generation code in a package called
> ui-command, which is kind of orthogonal to cmdargs (ui-command just
> deals with subcommands). Example commands are often useful, so I added

Interesting. Have you tried using both ui-command and cmdargs together ?

On 27 August 2011 00:23, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Conrad! Those are some great links.
>
>> I wrapped up some manpage generation code in a package called
>> ui-command, which is kind of orthogonal to cmdargs (ui-command just
>> deals with subcommands). Example commands are often useful, so I added
>
> Interesting. Have you tried using both ui-command and cmdargs together ?

No, I've generally just used ui-command to select (and document)
subcommands, and GetOpt to handle arguments. I think cmdargs added
support for selecting subcommands recently.

In any case, you are selecting subcommands by searching the
filesystem. Perhaps it would be a good idea to split out the
documentation part of ui-command ...

Conrad.

Re: hledger subcommand detection, RFC

Neil Mitchell
 * an option to all commands that lists out all its available
options, to aid with shell completion. See the link I posted above
about the oggz tools for an example usage and a link to a bash
completion file.

Note that the next version of CmdArgs will include command line flag completion automatically, so you might want to leave that feature a little while and see if you can make use of the CmdArgs feature.

Thanks, Neil