hmatrix on os x

Ben-145
hello --

i've been having a heck of a time installing hmatrix on mac os x.
i've seen the help pages including

http://mit.edu/harold/Public/easyVisionNotes.html

but they haven't helped me.  my setup is

haskell platform 2009.2.0.2 (ghc 6.10.4)
os x 10.5
macports -- i've tried installing gsl and gsl-devel to no avail.

i've tried cabal install with various options, to no avail.  has
anyone else have luck with this?

best, ben

Re: hmatrix on os x

Heinrich Apfelmus
Ben wrote:

> i've been having a heck of a time installing hmatrix on mac os x.
> i've seen the help pages including
>
> http://mit.edu/harold/Public/easyVisionNotes.html
>
> but they haven't helped me.  my setup is
>
> haskell platform 2009.2.0.2 (ghc 6.10.4)
> os x 10.5
> macports -- i've tried installing gsl and gsl-devel to no avail.
>
> i've tried cabal install with various options, to no avail.  has
> anyone else have luck with this?

Lapack and Gsl (or something combination thereof, I don't remember) is
installed on MacOS X by default, but it's a framework called  vecLib .
You have to add

  ld-options: -framework vecLib

to the  hmatrix.cabal  file and possibly remove the other library flags.

I suggest nagging the maintainer about this.

(Also, I had to remove and Intel specific opcode when compiling on PowerPC.)

Regards,
apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com

Re: hmatrix on os x

briand-3
yep I had some trouble too, although interestingly less than on linux
pc.

can you provide some error messages and we can see if your problems
are the same one's I saw.

I think most of my problem involved the location of the libraries.

Also I think that you are really going to want to have fink installed.

Brian

On Sep 7, 2009, at 7:06 PM, Ben wrote:

> hello --
>
> i've been having a heck of a time installing hmatrix on mac os x.
> i've seen the help pages including
>
> http://mit.edu/harold/Public/easyVisionNotes.html
>
> but they haven't helped me.  my setup is
>
> haskell platform 2009.2.0.2 (ghc 6.10.4)
> os x 10.5
> macports -- i've tried installing gsl and gsl-devel to no avail.
>
> i've tried cabal install with various options, to no avail.  has
> anyone else have luck with this?
>
> best, ben

Re: hmatrix on os x

Martijn van Steenbergen-2
brian wrote:
> yep I had some trouble too, although interestingly less than on linux pc.
>
> can you provide some error messages and we can see if your problems are
> the same one's I saw.

If this helps, here is the error message I got:

Configuring hmatrix-0.5.2.2...
Checking foreign libraries... FAIL
  *** Sorry, I can't link GSL.
  *** Please make sure that the appropriate -dev packages are installed.
  *** You can also specify the required libraries using
  *** cabal install hmatrix --configure-option=link:lib1,lib2,lib3,etc.
setup: Package hmatrix-0.5.2.2 can't be built on this system.
hmatrix-0.5.2.2 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 1

M.

Re: hmatrix on os x

briand-3
Hi,

yep - that's the problem I had.

run cabal with the -v (verbose option)

    cabal install -v

so you can see exactly where it's failing

try the following :

   --extra-lib-dirs=PATH

where PATH was (for me) was /sw/lib

I'm not sure but I may have had to use --extra-include-dirs also.

Generally I have a lot of trouble with cabal installing things
properly using the mac, but the above options usually fix the problem.

I did get hmatrix working.  Then when I ran a an example which did a
simple vector operation, it segfaulted.  However the linear algebra
routines all seemed to work.  Let me know what happens.

The linux pc gave me even more problems which I eventually traced to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH needing to include the lib dirs.

HTH.

Brian