how to install xmonad for group of users.

how to install xmonad for group of users.

Imam Toufique
Hi,

I have been trying to install xmonad (using cabal) for the past week for a group of users and having some issues with it. ?When I try to install it for myself it works just fine, but I when I try install it for a group of users, it gives me errors that some packages/modules are missing. ?I used the following cabal command:

>cabal install --prefix=$PREFIX --build-log=/tmp/xmonad.log.3 xmonad (where my prefix is /net/tools/xmonad/0.10

I see the installation there, I can run it myself, but when another user goes about it running it from the same installation, it complains that some packages/modules missing. ?I noticed that my installation creates $HOME/.ghc directory where all the packages are registered. ?I think therefore, for another user it can't access my $HOME/.ghc and therefore fails. ?Is there a way ?to tell cabal installer to register the packages in the $PREFIX area? ?I am so new to ghc, I tried figuring it out, but I could not. ?I think if I can register the packages somewhere in the PREFIX (/net/tools/xmonad/0.10) area, then xmonad running for a different user(s) will be able to access the right packages, and that might fix this issue.
?
thanks in advance.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

how to install xmonad for group of users.

wagnerdm@seas.upenn.edu
You will need to ask cabal to use a different package database (and
your users will need to ask their cabal installations to also use that
database). The simplest way to do this is to simply add "--global" to
the install line; however, this may not work if you don't have root
access.

~d

Quoting Imam Toufique <wnyrodeo at yahoo.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to install xmonad (using cabal) for the past week
> for a group of users and having some issues with it. ?When I try to
> install it for myself it works just fine, but I when I try install
> it for a group of users, it gives me errors that some
> packages/modules are missing. ?I used the following cabal command:
>
>> cabal install --prefix=$PREFIX --build-log=/tmp/xmonad.log.3 xmonad
>> (where my prefix is /net/tools/xmonad/0.10
>
> I see the installation there, I can run it myself, but when another
> user goes about it running it from the same installation, it
> complains that some packages/modules missing. ?I noticed that my
> installation creates $HOME/.ghc directory where all the packages are
> registered. ?I think therefore, for another user it can't access my
> $HOME/.ghc and therefore fails. ?Is there a way ?to tell cabal
> installer to register the packages in the $PREFIX area? ?I am so new
> to ghc, I tried figuring it out, but I could not. ?I think if I can
> register the packages somewhere in the PREFIX
> (/net/tools/xmonad/0.10) area, then xmonad running for a different
> user(s) will be able to access the right packages, and that might
> fix this issue.
> ?
> thanks in advance.

how to install xmonad for group of users.

Brandon Allbery
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 20:15, Imam Toufique <wnyrodeo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have been trying to install xmonad (using cabal) for the past week for a
> group of users and having some issues with it.  When I try to install it
> for myself it works just fine, but I when I try install it for a group of
> users, it gives me errors that some packages/modules are missing.  I used
> the following cabal command:
>
> >cabal install --prefix=$PREFIX --build-log=/tmp/xmonad.log.3 xmonad
> (where my prefix is /net/tools/xmonad/0.10

There are two aspects to use of cabal-install:  install location and
registry information.  Changing --prefix does not change the registry used;
if you want to do a global install, you need to add the --global option so
that the package is registered in the global database instead of the local
one.  (Note that --global will also change the default install location to
the one ghc itself is installed in, which is /usr/local for the official
Haskell Platform packages and /usr for most Linux distribution packages.)

--
brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b at gmail.com
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

how to install xmonad for group of users.

Imam Toufique
thanks for replying everyone. ?is there a way to change the location of registry in a global installation?
?

Yes, use the --package-db option. Your users will need to tell GHC
about this database as well when building their configs, and xmonad's
builtin recompile/restart machinery will probably be broken.

~d