Quantcast

howto best use emacs + tiling WM (Xmonad,DWM)

howto best use emacs + tiling WM (Xmonad,DWM)

kaffeepause73
Hello,

I'm using dwm which I really love (ev. consider switching to xmonad).

However when I'm working with emacs (programming haskell) und dwm I feel, I'm not as effecient as I eventually could be. -- I can have the shell in one window (to execute the compiled program), but most work happens in emacs (in one screen only). And I have up to buffers in emacs which I find hard to switch between. Even on Xinerama this doesn't really change.

When I create new frames for emacs with strg-x 5-2 then I'm sort getting closer to where I would like to be, but then I find myself having to windows on which I switch buffers and I get "confused" again.

What I would like is to tab through the buffers, as I walk through the screens in dwm/xmonad and see the list of buffers as id do so. -- And can directly jump to a specific buffer via e.g. mod-4.

I'm thinking that each buffer in emacs gets one frame and occupies one screen and xmonad than gets dynamically 20 or more screens (like tabs).

If there is an good solution within emacs and the emacs mode than I'm of course also more than open for it.

(my experience with emacs so far: -- only 10 buffers are listed in menue
                                             -- speedbar is very nice but works for files not for buffers
                                             -- using "list all buffers" is sort of cluncy as it uses half the screen (my screen splits horizontally

Thanks,

Phil

Re: howto best use emacs + tiling WM (Xmonad,DWM)

Jason Dagit-3
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 8:55 AM, kaffeepause73 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using dwm which I really love (ev. consider switching to xmonad).
>
> However when I'm working with emacs (programming haskell) und dwm I feel,
> I'm not as effecient as I eventually could be. -- I can have the shell in
> one window (to execute the compiled program), but most work happens in emacs
> (in one screen only). And I have up to buffers in emacs which I find hard to
> switch between. Even on Xinerama this doesn't really change.
>
> When I create new frames for emacs with strg-x 5-2 then I'm sort getting
> closer to where I would like to be, but then I find myself having to windows
> on which I switch buffers and I get "confused" again.
>
> What I would like is to tab through the buffers, as I walk through the
> screens in dwm/xmonad and see the list of buffers as id do so. -- And can
> directly jump to a specific buffer via e.g. mod-4.
>
> I'm thinking that each buffer in emacs gets one frame and occupies one
> screen and xmonad than gets dynamically 20 or more screens (like tabs).
>
> If there is an good solution within emacs and the emacs mode than I'm of
> course also more than open for it.
>
> (my experience with emacs so far: -- only 10 buffers are listed in menue
>                                             -- speedbar is very nice but
> works for files not for buffers
>                                             -- using "list all buffers" is
> sort of cluncy as it uses half the screen (my screen splits horizontally

I think you'll get xmonad specific advice on this list:

I'm currently using vim + screen to do my hacking and I love it, but I
do wish vim had more IDE smarts at times.  Emacs + screen would work
equally well.  tmux instead of screen is another valid option (tmux is
better maintained but screen is more ubiquitous).

The default buffer manipulation in emacs is not great.  Take a look at
things like ido mode:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InteractivelyDoThings

It's approximately 3 orders of magnitude better than the default way :)

Good luck!
Jason

Re: howto best use emacs + tiling WM (Xmonad,DWM)

Daniel Schoepe-2
On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 11:24:37 -0700, Jason Dagit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The default buffer manipulation in emacs is not great.  Take a look at
> things like ido mode:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/InteractivelyDoThings
>
> It's approximately 3 orders of magnitude better than the default way
> :)

And anything is even better than that in my opinion:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Anything

`anything-buffers+' from anything-config.el makes switching between
buffers a breeze.

Cheers,
Daniel

Re: howto best use emacs + tiling WM (Xmonad,DWM) -- Thanks

kaffeepause73
Thanks for the help !

iswitchb (see Ian's eMail below) is easiest to install and already does a realy nice job.
Anything is a lot more powerful, as it also lists files and history.

I installed both an will see how I get along. An integration with the tiled WM is not necessary if switching buffers works really fast.

Cheers

Ian Ross wrote
From: Ian Ross <ian@skybluetrades.net>
To: kaffeepause73 <kaffeepause73@yahoo.de>
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] howto best use emacs + tiling WM (Xmonad,DWM)
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 17:12:57 +0100
Sender: ian.skybluetrades@gmail.com

I use XMonad and Emacs.  I have one workspace for Emacs with two
frames (vertical split).  I use iswitchb [1] so I don't get lost in a
twisty maze of buffers.  Iswitchb (or icicles, which is similar) makes
a big difference: you can jump to any buffer by typing just a letter
or two of its name, or you can rotate through a list of all buffers.

Ian.

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IswitchBuffers

Re: howto best use emacs + tiling WM (Xmonad,DWM)

Diego Souza-5
A little delayed, but might be useful.

I personally use icicles. I found the M-* great for narrowing results
down. I've tried anything and ido also, but icicles ended up winning,
for my taste at least.

A side note, speedbar actually *does* works for bufffers. Simply type
*b* on the speedbar and you get the buffers list. That may help you
also.

As others sugested, the vanila interface of emacs is not perfect. Try
icicles, ido or anything, they greatly improve usability.

Another useful library is windmove and framemove. They assist
switching between visible buffers/frames:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WindMove
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FrameMove

Hope you find those useful!