implement SOAP-based standard

Olaf Klinke
Dear Haskellers,

I am considering implementing the OPC XML DA standard [1] in Haskell. OPC XML DA
is based on SOAP and is used for communicating with servers controlling hardware
such as power plants. Currently the only open implementation known to me is
PyOPC [2], which is based on an outdated Python libraries. However, Python seems
not the nicest language for writing code that is devoid of bugs showing at
runtime only. The OPC XML DA standard comes with a WSDL document (600 lines).
There is a wsdl package on hackage, but it is incomplete.
Can anyone share experience in implementing a webservice specified as WSDL?
Actually, the client side would be enough for my purposes. That is, compose
well-formed messages and parse the responses.

Thanks,
Olaf

[1]
https://opcfoundation.org/developer-tools/specifications-classic/xml-data-access/
[2] https://libraries.io/pypi/PyOPC

Re: implement SOAP-based standard

Yitzchak Gale
When we come across a SOAP-based service we must provide or use, our
approach is to use a REST-based wrapper. So far we have always been
able to find existing solutions. For example, for SAML, there are
services that already provide a REST-base wrapper for SAML-based
identity providers, such as StormPath, Ping, and Shibboleth.

If we didn't find an existing solution for some SOAP service, we would
probably write our own REST wrapper in C# or Java and use that.

Hope this helps,
Yitz