Quantcast

install problems

Gregory Guthrie

I tried to install HSBC and HSQL-sqlite3,

Bot fail,

And the error report is:

>cabal install HDBC

Resolving dependencies...

Configuring old-locale-1.0.0.7...

Configuring utf8-string-1.0.1.1...

Building old-locale-1.0.0.7...

Building utf8-string-1.0.1.1...

Installed old-locale-1.0.0.7

Configuring old-time-1.1.0.3...

Installed utf8-string-1.0.1.1

Failed to install old-time-1.1.0.3

Build log ( C:\Users\guthrie\AppData\Roaming\cabal\logs\old-time-1.1.0.3.log ):

Configuring old-time-1.1.0.3...

configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-compiler

checking for gcc... e:\Plang\Haskell Platform\8.0.2\mingw\bin\gcc.exe

checking whether the C compiler works... no

configure: error: in `/tmp/cabal-tmp-21488/old-time-1.1.0.3':

See `config.log' for more details

But the path to gcc is correct, and gc works fine.

I had a similar problem once, and the issue was that the autoconf script didn’t allow paths with spaces,

Odd since Haskell installs into “Haskell Package” on windows.

That time I had to reconfigure my whole installation (eliminating the space character), and then install it, and then restore the paths to what they were.

Is this an ongoing issue? Should I reconfigure Haskell to install differently?

Re: install problems

Brandon Allbery

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 11:25 PM, Gregory Guthrie <[hidden email]> wrote:

I had a similar problem once, and the issue was that the autoconf script didn’t allow paths with spaces,

Odd since Haskell installs into “Haskell Package” on windows.

Many package developers only work on Unix/Linux and don't test on Windows. Haskell is not a monolith controlled by a single entity that guarantees that everything always works everywhere.

You are probably better off overriding the installation to use a path not containing spaces, or sticking to packages known to work on Windows (you may need to find this out by asking around).

Re: install problems

David Sorokin-2
Hi Gregory,

I had a similar issue when tried to install on Windows some packages that depend on the old-time package. I don’t remember all the details, but I installed MSYS and some its modules additionally. Then my issue had gone. There are also MSYS2 and Cygwin that can be used instead of MSYS. I would try to experiment with MSYS2.

Earlier the old-time package was included in the Haskell platform and all my installations went smooth on Windows. But recently, the old-time package was removed from the Haskell platform and it caused some issues on clean Windows, for some packages still depend on that package explicitly or implicitly.

Thanks,
David