installing Haskell

love_pku

I am sorry to trouble you but I have problems to install Haskell.

Things run smoothly when I do the command ‘./configure’, But some errors appeared when I

run the command ‘make’. The details are as follows(in red font):

Distribution/Client/HttpUtils.hs:127:49:

   Couldn't match expected type `network-2.2.1.2:Network.URI.URI'

          against inferred type `URI'

   In the fourth argument of `AuthBasic', namely `uri'

   In the first argument of `Just', namely

       `(AuthBasic "" usr pwd uri)'

   In the expression: Just (AuthBasic "" usr pwd uri)

Distribution/Client/HttpUtils.hs:135:37:

   Couldn't match expected type `network-2.2.1.2:Network.URI.URI'

          against inferred type `URI'

   In the `rqURI' field of a record

   In the expression:

       Request

         {rqURI = uri, rqMethod = GET,

          rqHeaders = [Header HdrUserAgent userAgent],

          rqBody = ByteString.empty}

   In the definition of `mkRequest':

       mkRequest uri

                   = Request

                       {rqURI = uri, rqMethod = GET,

                        rqHeaders = [Header HdrUserAgent userAgent],

                        rqBody = ByteString.empty}

                   where

                       userAgent = "cabal-install/" ++ display Paths_cabal_install.version

Error:

Building the cabal-install-0.6.2 package failed

make: *** [build.stamp] Error 2

If I install cabal-install manually, the errors will be:

# /usr/bin/runhaskell Setup configure

Configuring cabal-install-0.6.2...

Warning: This package indirectly depends on multiple versions of the same

package. This is highly likely to cause a compile failure.

package HTTP-4000.0.6 requires network-2.2.1.2

package cabal-install-0.6.2requires network-2.2.1.4

Re: installing Haskell

Erik de Castro Lopo-34
love_pku wrote:

> I am sorry to trouble you but I have problems to install Haskell.

You already asked this question on the beginners list.

A number of people there asked you to provide more information so
they could better respond to your question. Since you started this
on the beginners list and you had people there willing to respond
I suggest you go back to that list and answer their questions.

Above all, if you are installing Haskell for the first time, I
would highly recommend that you install precompiled binaries for
your platform (you still haven't told us what that is).

The Haskell Platform:

     http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/

is highly recommended, especially for beginners to Haskell as it
contains the compiler and a large number of useful libraries all
in one package.

Erik

Re:Re: installing Haskell

love_pku
 Thank you for response!
  It is true that I have asked about the installation of Haskell on the beginners list. But the problems appeared one after another. I just felt very sorry to trouble other peopel again and again.Thus ,I begin to wonder if I am too stupid or the installation of Haskell is really troublesome.

  Another thing, I am using the platform you have recomended in the letter. And I want to install it on Ubuntu 8.04 System. The problems I run into as described in the letter I send to Haskell-cafe list ,I think , is difficult. It seemed that there is version conflict among cabal, network, and Http packages  in the Haskell platform 2009.2.0.2 .  I am unable to install the package cabal.

I do hope I can get some help from you ! Thank you very much!

Re: installing Haskell

Erik de Castro Lopo-34
love_pku wrote:

>   It is true that I have asked about the installation of Haskell on
> the beginners list. But the problems appeared one after another. I
> just felt very sorry to trouble other peopel again and again.

Its still better to keep it in one place so that people can see the
thread of conversation and see all the information you have provided
about the issue.

The beginner list is also better for issue like this because that
list is only beginners and people willing to help them. Here the
discussion ranges more widely and as far as I am concerned, the less
beginners hear about ZygoHistomorphicPrepromorphisms the better.

> Thus ,I begin to wonder if I am too stupid or the installation of
> Haskell is really troublesome.

No. I tried it and I had problems similar to yours. See below.

>   Another thing, I am using the platform you have recomended in the
> letter.

Which instructions are you using?

> And I want to install it on Ubuntu 8.04 System.

That version of Ubuntu is the Hardy Long Term Support version. In the
next month or so the new LTS release of Ubuntu (Lucid Lynx) will come
out. This new release has the current version of ghc (6.12.1) and all
of the Haskell Platform packages available via the standard Debian/
Ubuntu apt-get/apititude/synaptic tools.

If you can wait a month or two, that would be a very easy and familiar
way of getting something which is very, very close to the current
official Haskell Platform release.

If you are brave, you could probably upgrade to Lucid Lynx now and
get the benefits of apt-get now, but you should be prepared for
some minor bugs in the rest of the Lucid Lynx install if you install
before the official release.

If you know enough to set up a chroot system, you could probably
set up a lucid chroot and use the lucid system for haskell work
while leaving the rest of your system with the stable hardy release.

> The problems I run into as described in the letter I send to
> Haskell-cafe list ,I think , is difficult. It seemed that there is
> version conflict among cabal, network, and Http packages  in the
> Haskell platform 2009.2.0.2 .  I am unable to install the package cabal.

Which version of ghc do you have installed? Ubuntu hardy comes
with ghc-6.8.3 which is unlikely to be compatible with the
Haskell Platform which required ghc-6.10.4.

This page:

    http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/

says this:

    For unix systems, there is a generic source installer.

    You need GHC 6.10.4 installed. You should get this from your
    distro or alternatively you can get a GHC 6.10.4 generic binary.

    * haskell-platform-2009.2.0.2.tar.gz

    Download and unpack the installer. Then (possibly with 'sudo'):

        ./configure
        make
        make install

I've just tried following these instructions in a hardy chroot and
I ran into a bunch of problems.

  - The install of ghc-6.10.4 in /usr/local resulted in some files
    not being world readable.

  - It was tricky to figure out what tools and libraries needed to
    be installed to make it all work (required build-essential,
    libgmp3-dev and libz-dev).

  - On the final install of the platform I got the following error:

        erikd@hardy > sudo make install
        scripts/install.sh
        Installing mtl-1.1.0.2...

        Error:
        The mtl-1.1.0.2/Setup script does not exist or cannot be run

With this in mind, I would recommend that you try the Lucid Lynx
path (either an upgrade of your hardy system or a Lucid chroot on
your hardy system). You won't get something exactly like the Haskell
Platform (ie you get ghc-6.12.1 instead if 6.10.4), but you are more
likely to get a working compiler.

If you are using a chroot, also consider trying a Debian Testing
chroot because the Ubuntu haskell packages all come from Debian
so sunning Debian places you a little closer to the source making
it easier and more effective to log bugs.

FWIW, I run Debian Testing and only use the Debian packaged
libraries.

HTH,
Erik