is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Patrick Pelletier
This is only my second time uploading a package to Hackage, so I don't
yet have a feel for how it's supposed to go.  I uploaded
normalization-insensitive-2.0.0.1 about 24 hours ago:

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/normalization-insensitive-2.0.0.1

Under "Status", it says "Docs pending".  (And the module names are all
non-clickable.)  Is it normal to take this long to build the docs?  Is
there some way to find out where in the queue my job is? Is this an
indication that something has gone wrong?  How do I fix it?

Thanks,

--Patrick

Re: is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Francesco Ariis
On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 05:37:07PM -0800, Patrick Pelletier wrote:
> This is only my second time uploading a package to Hackage, so I don't yet
> have a feel for how it's supposed to go.  I uploaded
> normalization-insensitive-2.0.0.1 about 24 hours ago:
>
> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/normalization-insensitive-2.0.0.1
>
> Under "Status", it says "Docs pending".  [..]

Sometimes hackage fails to build documentation (maybe there is a
hint on why on the logs). In those cases, I take advantage of cabal:

    cabal upload --documentation

(more info with `cabal upload --help`).

On 11/8/16 5:59 PM, Francesco Ariis wrote:
> Sometimes hackage fails to build documentation (maybe there is a
> hint on why on the logs).

Where can I find those logs?

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 07:08:31PM -0800, Patrick Pelletier wrote:
> On 11/8/16 5:59 PM, Francesco Ariis wrote:
> >Sometimes hackage fails to build documentation (maybe there is a
> >hint on why on the logs).
>
> Where can I find those logs?

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/normalization-insensitive-2.0/reports/1

They are not yet available for 2.1 though!

On 11/8/16 9:04 PM, Francesco Ariis wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 07:08:31PM -0800, Patrick Pelletier wrote:
>> On 11/8/16 5:59 PM, Francesco Ariis wrote:
>>> Sometimes hackage fails to build documentation (maybe there is a
>>> hint on why on the logs).
>> Where can I find those logs?
> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/normalization-insensitive-2.0/reports/1
>
> They are not yet available for 2.1 though!

So then 2.0.0.1 is still queued up somewhere?  Is there a way to check
on the queue?

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 11:41:54PM -0800, Patrick Pelletier wrote:

> on 11/8/16 9:04 pm, francesco ariis wrote:
> >on tue, nov 08, 2016 at 07:08:31pm -0800, patrick pelletier wrote:
> >>Where can I find those logs?
> >https://hackage.haskell.org/package/normalization-insensitive-2.0/reports/1
> >
> >They are not yet available for 2.1 though!
>
> So then 2.0.0.1 is still queued up somewhere?  Is there a way to check on
> the queue?

Not sure really how you can check the queue (maybe someone more
experienced can answer), I see that if a package gets 'skipped'
for wichever reason, a build is not retriggered.

Re: is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Imants Cekusins
it is possible to upload docs manually:

Maintainer's Corner

edit package information

Manage documentation

select version

Upload documentation

or see this post:

there is a script at the bottom of the page. It works well. New docs appear on Hackage within minutes after running this script.

Re: is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Tom Ellis
On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 05:37:07PM -0800, Patrick Pelletier wrote:
> Under "Status", it says "Docs pending".  (And the module names are
> all non-clickable.)  Is it normal to take this long to build the
> docs?

A related point:

If you get your package into Stackage then the docs will be built there too,
and it's probably more reliable.  I uploaded a new version of Opaleye
yesterday and the docs haven't been built by Hackage yet but they have been
built by Stackage.

Tom

Re: is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Patrick Pelletier
On 11/8/16 5:59 PM, Francesco Ariis wrote:
> Sometimes hackage fails to build documentation (maybe there is a
> hint on why on the logs). In those cases, I take advantage of cabal:
>
>      cabal upload --documentation
>
> (more info with `cabal upload --help`).

Thanks!  This worked like a charm, although I first had to upgrade my
cabal, and I also had to fix an incorrect lower bound for "text" in the
"unicode-transforms" package (which is a dependency of
normalization-insensitive).

I wonder if the incorrect lower bound is why the docs failed to build
automatically on Hackage?  Although if the docs failed, it really ought
to say "docs failed", not "docs pending".

On 11/9/16 5:06 AM, Tom Ellis wrote:
> If you get your package into Stackage then the docs will be built there too,
> and it's probably more reliable.  I uploaded a new version of Opaleye
> yesterday and the docs haven't been built by Hackage yet but they have been
> built by Stackage.

I get your point, but I don't really like seeing the suggestion that
Hackage should be abandoned because Stackage is better.  (I especially
dislike packages like "resourcet" which have entirely forgone giving a
description of the package in the cabal file, and instead have only a
note saying you should go to Stackage instead.) Hackage and Stackage
serve different purposes.  Hackage is all packages, while Stackage is a
curated set of packages.  (Therefore, Hackage is essentially the
"upstream" of Stackage.)  We shouldn't give up on Hackage.

If FP Complete has a better doc builder, then it would be nice to see FP
Complete and haskell.org work together on getting Hackage to use the FP
Complete doc builder.  Although a bit of competition can be healthy, it
would also be nice to see cooperation in places where there is not a
difference in philosophy.  (And hopefully, "should have docs" is
something everyone can agree on.)

On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 01:11:14PM -0800, Patrick Pelletier wrote:
> On 11/9/16 5:06 AM, Tom Ellis wrote:
> >If you get your package into Stackage then the docs will be built there too,
> >and it's probably more reliable.  I uploaded a new version of Opaleye
> >yesterday and the docs haven't been built by Hackage yet but they have been
> >built by Stackage.
>
> I get your point, but I don't really like seeing the suggestion that
> Hackage should be abandoned because Stackage is better.

I never suggested that!

On 11/9/16 2:35 PM, Tom Ellis wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 01:11:14PM -0800, Patrick Pelletier wrote:
>> On 11/9/16 5:06 AM, Tom Ellis wrote:
>>> If you get your package into Stackage then the docs will be built there too,
>>> and it's probably more reliable.  I uploaded a new version of Opaleye
>>> yesterday and the docs haven't been built by Hackage yet but they have been
>>> built by Stackage.
>> I get your point, but I don't really like seeing the suggestion that
>> Hackage should be abandoned because Stackage is better.
> I never suggested that!

I apologize; I know that's not exactly what you said, and I shouldn't
have put words in your mouth.  I think I was just expressing frustration
with a general feeling I get sometimes that stack / Stackage /
haskell-lang.org are trying to replace cabal / Hackage / haskell.org
instead of complement them.  But I misspoke in attributing that to you.
Sorry.

--Patrick

Re: is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Adam Bergmark-2
Stackage has a much easier time since it only builds against one version of dependencies and one version of GHC. Adding a package to stackage also requires that someone makes sure that any external build dependencies are provided. Hackage on the other hand does not know any of these things so there is a lot that can go wrong.

But new library versions can also be temporarily blocked from stackage, so it can take months before a new version has docs on stackage.org.

For library authors stackage and hackage, cabal-install and stack are to a large degree complimentary to each other, you will likely want to use both. Application authors have the freedom to choose.

- Adam

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 12:33 AM Patrick Pelletier <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/9/16 2:35 PM, Tom Ellis wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 01:11:14PM -0800, Patrick Pelletier wrote:
>> On 11/9/16 5:06 AM, Tom Ellis wrote:
>>> If you get your package into Stackage then the docs will be built there too,
>>> and it's probably more reliable.  I uploaded a new version of Opaleye
>>> yesterday and the docs haven't been built by Hackage yet but they have been
>>> built by Stackage.
>> I get your point, but I don't really like seeing the suggestion that
>> Hackage should be abandoned because Stackage is better.
> I never suggested that!

I apologize; I know that's not exactly what you said, and I shouldn't
have put words in your mouth.  I think I was just expressing frustration
with a general feeling I get sometimes that stack / Stackage /
haskell-lang.org are trying to replace cabal / Hackage / haskell.org
instead of complement them.  But I misspoke in attributing that to you.
Sorry.

--Patrick

Re: is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Gershom Bazerman
Sorry — the builder for docs has been in rough shape and we’re working on it. In this case it got stuck due to disk space issues and monitoring didn’t catch it. Its now running again but doing some catching up. (And lots of stuff in the queue it failed to build due to other problems needs to be replaced there, which is a manual process at the moment if we don’t want the queue as a whole to just drown out any new things at all with backlog). It would be much better to expose more queues and have better monitoring (and real prioritization), and another volunteer to help ben out on this would be very welcome (please contact me if you’re interested — the code lives at https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/blob/master/BuildClient.hs and there’s some uncommitted work on queuing as well).

—gerhsom

On November 8, 2016 at 8:37:19 PM, Patrick Pelletier ([hidden email]) wrote:

> This is only my second time uploading a package to Hackage, so I don't
> yet have a feel for how it's supposed to go. I uploaded
> normalization-insensitive-2.0.0.1 about 24 hours ago:
>
> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/normalization-insensitive-2.0.0.1
>
> Under "Status", it says "Docs pending". (And the module names are all
> non-clickable.) Is it normal to take this long to build the docs? Is
> there some way to find out where in the queue my job is? Is this an
> indication that something has gone wrong? How do I fix it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Patrick

Re: is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Michael Snoyman
I shared this thought privately before, but worth sharing publicly if someone wants to try following up on it: all of the docs build for the Stackage server are available on S3, and could by leveraged by Hackage as well. When I brought this up earlier, there was a large-ish list of requested changes to the generated HTML, which I didn't want to implement, but perhaps someone can find a way to bridge the gap.

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Gershom B <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry — the builder for docs has been in rough shape and we’re working on it. In this case it got stuck due to disk space issues and monitoring didn’t catch it. Its now running again but doing some catching up. (And lots of stuff in the queue it failed to build due to other problems needs to be replaced there, which is a manual process at the moment if we don’t want the queue as a whole to just drown out any new things at all with backlog). It would be much better to expose more queues and have better monitoring (and real prioritization), and another volunteer to help ben out on this would be very welcome (please contact me if you’re interested — the code lives at https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/blob/master/BuildClient.hs and there’s some uncommitted work on queuing as well).

—gerhsom

On November 8, 2016 at 8:37:19 PM, Patrick Pelletier ([hidden email]) wrote:
> This is only my second time uploading a package to Hackage, so I don't
> yet have a feel for how it's supposed to go. I uploaded
> normalization-insensitive-2.0.0.1 about 24 hours ago:
>
> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/normalization-insensitive-2.0.0.1
>
> Under "Status", it says "Docs pending". (And the module names are all
> non-clickable.) Is it normal to take this long to build the docs? Is
> there some way to find out where in the queue my job is? Is this an
> indication that something has gone wrong? How do I fix it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Patrick

Re: is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Patrick Pelletier
Can you share the list of requested changes?  And what is the cause of the difference?  Is Stackage running Haddock with different options than Hackage does?  Or is it doing something other than just running Haddock?  Is the code that builds the Stackage docs available?

--Patrick

On 11/12/16 10:46 PM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
I shared this thought privately before, but worth sharing publicly if someone wants to try following up on it: all of the docs build for the Stackage server are available on S3, and could by leveraged by Hackage as well. When I brought this up earlier, there was a large-ish list of requested changes to the generated HTML, which I didn't want to implement, but perhaps someone can find a way to bridge the gap.

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Gershom B <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry — the builder for docs has been in rough shape and we’re working on it. In this case it got stuck due to disk space issues and monitoring didn’t catch it. Its now running again but doing some catching up. (And lots of stuff in the queue it failed to build due to other problems needs to be replaced there, which is a manual process at the moment if we don’t want the queue as a whole to just drown out any new things at all with backlog). It would be much better to expose more queues and have better monitoring (and real prioritization), and another volunteer to help ben out on this would be very welcome (please contact me if you’re interested — the code lives at https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/blob/master/BuildClient.hs and there’s some uncommitted work on queuing as well).

—gerhsom

On November 8, 2016 at 8:37:19 PM, Patrick Pelletier ([hidden email]) wrote:
> This is only my second time uploading a package to Hackage, so I don't
> yet have a feel for how it's supposed to go. I uploaded
> normalization-insensitive-2.0.0.1 about 24 hours ago:
>
> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/normalization-insensitive-2.0.0.1
>
> Under "Status", it says "Docs pending". (And the module names are all
> non-clickable.) Is it normal to take this long to build the docs? Is
> there some way to find out where in the queue my job is? Is this an
> indication that something has gone wrong? How do I fix it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Patrick

Re: is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Michael Snoyman
Here were Duncan's comments at the time:

      * the docs need to match the URL scheme on hackage, in terms of
        linking back to other packages docs on hackage. This needs to be
        done using sufficiently-relative urls so that http & https
        works.
      * it's generally not desirable to overwrite/replace existing docs.
        You can check which packages are missing docs by consulting this
        resource: http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/docs.json
      * we generate the docs so that only one style is listed, so that
        haddock does not include it's style switcher menu.
      * we do include all the files haddock generates, including the
        minus.gif, synopsis.png.
      * hackage currently does not use a shared haddock css and js file
        (though doing so is a good idea), so these are also included in
        the doc bundle, just as haddock produces them.

This presumes having some kind of an upload script running from the Stackage side, whereas my recommendation had been that Hackage be modified to use the Stackage S3 docs as a backup for when its doc building fails. You can see an example of generated docs at:

The code which calls Haddock is available at:

By the way, regarding your comments about resourcet and FP Complete: I'm honestly offended at this tone. I've clearly attempted quite often and quite sincerely to get such cooperation to happen, and have been rebuffed. Even if you're unaware of that, the implied accusation assumes a lot which isn't true. I honestly considered ignoring this thread entirely based on this tone, I'm tired of dealing with it.

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 8:59 AM, Patrick Pelletier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can you share the list of requested changes?  And what is the cause of the difference?  Is Stackage running Haddock with different options than Hackage does?  Or is it doing something other than just running Haddock?  Is the code that builds the Stackage docs available?

--Patrick

On 11/12/16 10:46 PM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
I shared this thought privately before, but worth sharing publicly if someone wants to try following up on it: all of the docs build for the Stackage server are available on S3, and could by leveraged by Hackage as well. When I brought this up earlier, there was a large-ish list of requested changes to the generated HTML, which I didn't want to implement, but perhaps someone can find a way to bridge the gap.

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Gershom B <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry — the builder for docs has been in rough shape and we’re working on it. In this case it got stuck due to disk space issues and monitoring didn’t catch it. Its now running again but doing some catching up. (And lots of stuff in the queue it failed to build due to other problems needs to be replaced there, which is a manual process at the moment if we don’t want the queue as a whole to just drown out any new things at all with backlog). It would be much better to expose more queues and have better monitoring (and real prioritization), and another volunteer to help ben out on this would be very welcome (please contact me if you’re interested — the code lives at https://github.com/haskell/hackage-server/blob/master/BuildClient.hs and there’s some uncommitted work on queuing as well).

—gerhsom

On November 8, 2016 at 8:37:19 PM, Patrick Pelletier ([hidden email]) wrote:
> This is only my second time uploading a package to Hackage, so I don't
> yet have a feel for how it's supposed to go. I uploaded
> normalization-insensitive-2.0.0.1 about 24 hours ago:
>
> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/normalization-insensitive-2.0.0.1
>
> Under "Status", it says "Docs pending". (And the module names are all
> non-clickable.) Is it normal to take this long to build the docs? Is
> there some way to find out where in the queue my job is? Is this an
> indication that something has gone wrong? How do I fix it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Patrick

Re: is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Saurabh Nanda
Hackage and Stackage serve different purposes.  Hackage is all packages, while Stackage is a curated set of packages.  (Therefore, Hackage is essentially the "upstream" of Stackage.)  We shouldn't give up on Hackage.

I know I'm jumping into a very, very touchy topic, but isn't the following possible:

* Stackage & Hackage combine -- even the .cabal & .stack file formats (if possible)
* The combined entity supports curated packages (via LTS) AND a global free-for-all package list. I, as a user, get to decide how I want my packages to be resolved -- via a curated LTS or via the global package index.
* The combined entity focuses on building a kickass, unified, piece of community infra, instead of dividing effort+resources and solving similar problems twice.

-- Saurabh.

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Saurabh Nanda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hackage and Stackage serve different purposes.  Hackage is all packages, while Stackage is a curated set of packages.  (Therefore, Hackage is essentially the "upstream" of Stackage.)  We shouldn't give up on Hackage.

I know I'm jumping into a very, very touchy topic, but isn't the following possible:

* Stackage & Hackage combine -- even the .cabal & .stack file formats (if possible)

Let's not conflate two things. I assume you're talking about stack.yaml as the .stack file format. This should be a completely separate discussion for multiple reasons:

* That's about Stack vs cabal-install instead of Stackage vs Hackage
* It's completely necessary to have package-level vs project-level configuration (even cabal-install has a separate project config format separate from the .cabal format)

* The combined entity supports curated packages (via LTS) AND a global free-for-all package list. I, as a user, get to decide how I want my packages to be resolved -- via a curated LTS or via the global package index.

This was discussed in ernest at ICFP in 2014, and the resulting proposal was GPS Haskell. The idea was that Hackage would add support for curated package sets. Personally, I didn't think this was necessary, and cabal-install should have just learnt logic to get information from stackage.org so that adding the functionality to Hackage wasn't a blocker for getting curated package sets available to users.

In reality, the curated package set feature never got added to Hackage, cabal-install never added curated package set support, GPS Haskell was abandoned, and Stack and LTS Haskell were created instead.

* The combined entity focuses on building a kickass, unified, piece of community infra, instead of dividing effort+resources and solving similar problems twice.

It's a wonderful idea.

Michael

Re: is it normal for docs to be pending for 24 hours?

Saurabh Nanda

* Stackage & Hackage combine -- even the .cabal & .stack file formats (if possible)

Let's not conflate two things. I assume you're talking about stack.yaml as the .stack file format. This should be a completely separate discussion for multiple reasons:

* That's about Stack vs cabal-install instead of Stackage vs Hackage
* It's completely necessary to have package-level vs project-level configuration (even cabal-install has a separate project config format separate from the .cabal format)

I didn't realise that. Let me read more about the problems that stack is trying to solve vs those that cabal is trying to solve. To my untrained eye, they're solving very similar problems to exist as two separate projects. Isn't a package a kind of a project? Or vice-versa.

As I said, I need to read more on this topic.

This was discussed in ernest at ICFP in 2014, and the resulting proposal was GPS Haskell. The idea was that Hackage would add support for curated package sets. Personally, I didn't think this was necessary, and cabal-install should have just learnt logic to get information from stackage.org so that adding the functionality to Hackage wasn't a blocker for getting curated package sets available to users.

Was the only reason to suggest the fetching of curated lists from Stackage in interest of faster go-to-market? Wouldn't it require the community to maintain 2 sets of highly-available infra? Also, wondering aloud, is the curation process purely algorithmic or human assisted?

In reality, the curated package set feature never got added to Hackage, cabal-install never added curated package set support, GPS Haskell was abandoned, and Stack and LTS Haskell were created instead.

Where can I read more about GPS Haskell? I managed to get to http://www.ozonehouse.com/mark/platform/GPS-Haskell-HIW2014.pdf from your blog post at https://www.fpcomplete.com/blog/2014/12/backporting-bug-fixes, but it's a 404 right now.

-- Saurabh.