kill -STOP/-CONT hack

Re: kill -STOP/-CONT hack

Paul Fertser
Sorry for the slow reply,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 01:04:30PM +0200, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> > I can add another datapoint here: it works with Firefox on my machine,
> > but the exact config and firefox version will be available only later
> > today, when I get back home.
>
> Cool, that would be fun to see.
>
> (I'm on 45.2.0)

I've seen a report that 47 doesn't work but I haven't tried it myself
yet (I'm in the middle of a system upgrade so I can't even say what
version worked for me). I've tried with starting gqview, moving it to
my stoppable workspace, then switching to that workspace and back and
after 5 seconds gqview was stopped, ps output showed T status.

Here's the relevant part of my config:

layoutHook = modWorkspace "stop" (ModifiedLayout (Stoppable "S" 5 Nothing)) $ reflectHoriz $ layoutHook defaultConfig
XMonad.workspaces = map show [1..8] ++ ["stop"]

(full config attached)

That's with xmonad 0.11.1.

mailto:[hidden email]

laptop-xmonad.hs (2K) Download Attachment

Re: kill -STOP/-CONT hack

Paul Fertser
On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 10:47:55AM +0300, Paul Fertser wrote:
> I've seen a report that 47 doesn't work but I haven't tried it myself

Now I can confirm that Firefox 47.0 can be stopped as well. The
report I was talking about was due to running it in firejail.

mailto:[hidden email]

Re: kill -STOP/-CONT hack

Adam Sjøgren
Paul writes:

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 10:47:55AM +0300, Paul Fertser wrote:
>> I've seen a report that 47 doesn't work but I haven't tried it myself
>
> Now I can confirm that Firefox 47.0 can be stopped as well. The
> report I was talking about was due to running it in firejail.

Ok, thanks for checking!

Nothing gets stopped for me (even when trying something different from
xeyes, say, eog, which does set _NET_WM_PID), so I'm probably doing
something wrong.

I am running xmonad and xmonad-contrib from the development repository,
though, and this layoutHook:

  layoutHook = avoidStruts $ modWorkspace "3" stoppable $ layoutHook defaultConfig

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Why should they care                                        Adam Sjøgren
  With bitter eyes                                       [hidden email]

Re: kill -STOP/-CONT hack

Daniel Wagner-4
On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Adam Sjøgren <[hidden email]> wrote:
Putting my keyboard where my mouth is, as a start:
 · https://github.com/asjo/xmonad-contrib/commit/b2ecbe7471a5d519fc03288614c6df393cab1e7a

If you can turn this change into a clean, one-commit pull request against xmonad/xmonad-contrib, I'll happily merge it. Or I'll be happy to make the change myself if you don't care about attribution in the git log.
~d

Re: kill -STOP/-CONT hack

Adam Sjøgren
Daniel writes:

> If you can turn this change into a clean, one-commit pull request against
> xmonad/xmonad-contrib, I'll happily merge it.

Done now (still learning the whole pull request game):

 · https://github.com/xmonad/xmonad-contrib/pull/81

  Best regards,

   Adam

--
 "Where there's a will, there's a won't"                      Adam Sjøgren