lambdabot-4.2.3.3

Dmitry Malikov
Hi.

A few days ago I tried to install lambdabot package from hackage (4.2.3.2). Cabal install failed.

Then I found DanBurton's github repo with some approaches to make lambdabot install fixed.

All dependency packages (IOSpec, numbers) was already fixed.

So I add FlexibleInstances extension to cabal file and upload package to hackage.

I hope that did everything right.
dmitry malikov
!

Re: lambdabot-4.2.3.3

Francesco Mazzoli
At Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:14:47 +0400,
Dmitry Malikov wrote:

> A few days ago I tried to install lambdabot package from hackage
> (4.2.3.2). Cabal install failed.
>
> Then I found DanBurton's github repo with some approaches to make lambdabot
> install fixed.
>
> All dependency packages (IOSpec, numbers) was already fixed.
>
> So I add FlexibleInstances extension to cabal file and upload package to
> hackage.
>
> I hope that did everything right.

Did you ask the maintainer first? You should never just upload a package that
you are not maintaining before asking first the maintainer and then haskell-cafe
if you receive no response. If you did not ask, please do not do that again and
tell the maintainer - which in this case you should have no problem contacting,
since Cale is often online on IRC.

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt

Re: lambdabot-4.2.3.3

Dmitry Malikov
On 07/18/2012 04:33 PM, Francesco Mazzoli wrote:

> At Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:14:47 +0400,
> Dmitry Malikov wrote:
>> A few days ago I tried to install lambdabot package from hackage
>> (4.2.3.2). Cabal install failed.
>>
>> Then I found DanBurton's github repo with some approaches to make lambdabot
>> install fixed.
>>
>> All dependency packages (IOSpec, numbers) was already fixed.
>>
>> So I add FlexibleInstances extension to cabal file and upload package to
>> hackage.
>>
>> I hope that did everything right.
> Did you ask the maintainer first? You should never just upload a package that
> you are not maintaining before asking first the maintainer and then haskell-cafe
> if you receive no response. If you did not ask, please do not do that again and
> tell the maintainer - which in this case you should have no problem contacting,
> since Cale is often online on IRC.
>
> --
> Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt

> Did you ask the maintainer first?
Yes, I did.

dmitry malikov
!

Re: lambdabot-4.2.3.3

Cale Gibbard
Lambdabot doesn't have a maintainer.

On 18 July 2012 08:33, Francesco Mazzoli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:14:47 +0400,
> Dmitry Malikov wrote:
>> A few days ago I tried to install lambdabot package from hackage
>> (4.2.3.2). Cabal install failed.
>>
>> Then I found DanBurton's github repo with some approaches to make lambdabot
>> install fixed.
>>
>> All dependency packages (IOSpec, numbers) was already fixed.
>>
>> So I add FlexibleInstances extension to cabal file and upload package to
>> hackage.
>>
>> I hope that did everything right.
>
> Did you ask the maintainer first? You should never just upload a package that
> you are not maintaining before asking first the maintainer and then haskell-cafe
> if you receive no response. If you did not ask, please do not do that again and
> tell the maintainer - which in this case you should have no problem contacting,
> since Cale is often online on IRC.
>
> --
> Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt

Re: lambdabot-4.2.3.3

James Cook
For what it's worth, I've been maintaining a fork for personal use for quite a while[1].  It diverged from the official version quite a while ago, but it builds on the latest GHC and uses Safe Haskell for the @eval module.  If someone happens to want to use it they are free to do so, and I'll even fix problems they find if it's not too much work for me, but I can't really commit to officially maintaining it.  Note also that one of its dependencies is not on Hackage (it's on the same GitHub account though).

-- James

[1] https://github.com/mokus0/lambdabot

On Jul 18, 2012, at 11:04 AM, Cale Gibbard wrote:

> Lambdabot doesn't have a maintainer.
>
> On 18 July 2012 08:33, Francesco Mazzoli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> At Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:14:47 +0400,
>> Dmitry Malikov wrote:
>>> A few days ago I tried to install lambdabot package from hackage
>>> (4.2.3.2). Cabal install failed.
>>>
>>> Then I found DanBurton's github repo with some approaches to make lambdabot
>>> install fixed.
>>>
>>> All dependency packages (IOSpec, numbers) was already fixed.
>>>
>>> So I add FlexibleInstances extension to cabal file and upload package to
>>> hackage.
>>>
>>> I hope that did everything right.
>>
>> Did you ask the maintainer first? You should never just upload a package that
>> you are not maintaining before asking first the maintainer and then haskell-cafe
>> if you receive no response. If you did not ask, please do not do that again and
>> tell the maintainer - which in this case you should have no problem contacting,
>> since Cale is often online on IRC.
>>
>> --
>> Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt

Re: lambdabot-4.2.3.3

Gwern Branwen
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM, James Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  It diverged from the official version quite a while ago, but it builds on the latest GHC and uses Safe Haskell for the @eval module.

That doesn't sound very safe. How does it handle all the DoS attacks
etc in the mueval test suite?

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net

Re: lambdabot-4.2.3.3

Francesco Mazzoli
At Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:04:17 -0400,
Cale Gibbard wrote:
> Lambdabot doesn't have a maintainer.

So is it just orphaned and anyone can upload? That does not sound right, also
considering that lambdabot is used on the IRC channel, it'd be nice to have a
more structured way to push fixes and improvements... Otherwise it'll eventually
just bitrot and die.

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt

Re: lambdabot-4.2.3.3

James Cook
The irc server it runs on has about 10 users, all of whom I know and trust, so I have not tested it extensively but it should be as safe as anything else running Safe Haskell. Mueval uses the ghc API and with a minor modification can do so in "safe" mode. As long as you don't trust any packages you shouldn't, it should be fine.  This sort of thing is why safe Haskell exists.

On Jul 18, 2012, at 11:17 AM, Gwern Branwen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM, James Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It diverged from the official version quite a while ago, but it builds on the latest GHC and uses Safe Haskell for the @eval module.
>
> That doesn't sound very safe. How does it handle all the DoS attacks
> etc in the mueval test suite?
>
> --
> gwern
> http://www.gwern.net

Re: lambdabot-4.2.3.3

James Cook
I should probably be more clear - it supports all the same resource limiting mechanisms as Mueval because it uses Mueval (modified to support Safe Haskell).