llvm-hs version 10, and library maintainers

llvm-hs version 10, and library maintainers

Travis Whitaker
Hello fellow Haskellers,

LLVM version 10 is out, and LLVM 11 is on the way. I'm curious if
anyone has begun work on getting llvm-hs working with version 10. This
is likely to be a bit more of a chore than usual, because of changes
in the JIT API.

Furthermore, activity on the llvm-hs GitHub repo seems to have slowed;
I'm curious who the current maintainers are and whether or not they
could use a hand? I make active use of the package and would be happy
to contribute time to help out any way I can.

Thanks,

Travis Whitaker

Re: llvm-hs version 10, and library maintainers

Henning Thielemann

Hi Travis,

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020, Travis Whitaker wrote:

> LLVM version 10 is out, and LLVM 11 is on the way. I'm curious if
> anyone has begun work on getting llvm-hs working with version 10. This
> is likely to be a bit more of a chore than usual, because of changes
> in the JIT API.
>
> Furthermore, activity on the llvm-hs GitHub repo seems to have slowed;
> I'm curious who the current maintainers are and whether or not they
> could use a hand? I make active use of the package and would be happy
> to contribute time to help out any way I can.

I continue to maintain the other LLVM wrapper, based on the original llvm
package by O'Sullivan and Augustsson:
    https://hackage.haskell.org/package/llvm-tf
    https://hackage.haskell.org/package/llvm-ffi

However, I also support only up to LLVM-9 for now. Updating the Haskell
bindings is tedious because LLVM changes details often and the changes are
hardly documented.

On the other hand, I have long-standing problems with LLVM. E.g. when I
start optimizing via LLVM's C interface the result is much worse than the
one produced by the opt command-line utility. I would like to know,
whether llvm-hs has this problem, too. However, I miss a simple example
for demonstration.