lockup when starting gvim in terminal

Anthony Campbell
If I start gvim (GUI version of vim) in a terminal I get an error
message and gvim locks up. The message is:

E852: The child process failed to start the GUI[xcb] Unknown sequence
number while processing queue

[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has
not been called

[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that. gvim: ../../src/xcb_io.c:273:
poll_for_event: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost' failed.

I can prevent it from happening, either by starting gvim with dmenu or
by doing "gvim &" in a terminal. I think gvim normally starts as a child
process from a terminal.

Is this a bug? Any way of preventing the error apart from those I've
mentioned/

Anthony Campbell - ac at acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks at

lockup when starting gvim in terminal

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 21 September 2011 22:10, Anthony Campbell <ac at acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

> If I start gvim (GUI version of vim) in a terminal I get an error
> message and gvim locks up. The message is:

> E852: The child process failed to start the GUI[xcb] Unknown sequence
> number while processing queue
>
> [xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has
> not been called
>
> [xcb] Aborting, sorry about that. gvim: ../../src/xcb_io.c:273:
> poll_for_event: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost' failed.
>
> I can prevent it from happening, either by starting gvim with dmenu or
> by doing "gvim &" in a terminal. I think gvim normally starts as a child
> process from a terminal.
>
> Is this a bug? Any way of preventing the error apart from those I've
> mentioned/

I doubt it's an xmonad issue... but anyway:

So, "gvim" fails but "gvim &" works?  That sounds really weird...

Does it make a difference which terminal you use (xterm vs konsole vs etc.)?

Which shell are you using? bash?

Which distro?

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

On 21 Sep 2011, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:

> On 21 September 2011 22:10, Anthony Campbell <ac at acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> > If I start gvim (GUI version of vim) in a terminal I get an error
> > message and gvim locks up. The message is:

> > E852: The child process failed to start the GUI[xcb] Unknown sequence
> > number while processing queue
> >
> > [xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has
> > not been called
> >
> > [xcb] Aborting, sorry about that. gvim: ../../src/xcb_io.c:273:
> > poll_for_event: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost' failed.
> >
> > I can prevent it from happening, either by starting gvim with dmenu or
> > by doing "gvim &" in a terminal. I think gvim normally starts as a child
> > process from a terminal.
> >
> > Is this a bug? Any way of preventing the error apart from those I've
> > mentioned/
>
> I doubt it's an xmonad issue... but anyway:
>
> So, "gvim" fails but "gvim &" works?  That sounds really weird...
>
> Does it make a difference which terminal you use (xterm vs konsole vs etc.)?
>
> Which shell are you using? bash?
>
> Which distro?
> --

It doesn't happen with Icewm. I've tried rxvt-unicode - same thing
happens. I'm using Debian Sid; shell is bash.

I'll ask on the vim list as well.

Anthony Campbell - ac at acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks at

lockup when starting gvim in terminal -Workround

Anthony Campbell
On 21 Sep 2011, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> It doesn't happen with Icewm. I've tried rxvt-unicode - same thing
> happens. I'm using Debian Sid; shell is bash.
>
> I'll ask on the vim list as well.

Someone on the vim list who uses xmonad can't reproduce this bug, and I
still don't know why it happens. But I've found a simple workround,
which is to alias gvim to gvim -f. This prevents gvim from forking. Not
an ideal solution but at least it doesn't crash.

Anthony Campbell - ac at acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks at

lockup when starting gvim in terminal -Workround

Joachim Breitner
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 22.09.2011, 09:11 +0100 schrieb Anthony Campbell:

> On 21 Sep 2011, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > It doesn't happen with Icewm. I've tried rxvt-unicode - same thing
> > happens. I'm using Debian Sid; shell is bash.
> >
> > I'll ask on the vim list as well.
>
> Someone on the vim list who uses xmonad can't reproduce this bug, and I
> still don't know why it happens. But I've found a simple workround,
> which is to alias gvim to gvim -f. This prevents gvim from forking. Not
> an ideal solution but at least it doesn't crash.

I use Debian sid and gvim a lot, and have not yet observed anything like
that... we definitely need more hints before we can do something about
this.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer

On 22 Sep 2011, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 22.09.2011, 09:11 +0100 schrieb Anthony Campbell:
> > On 21 Sep 2011, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > It doesn't happen with Icewm. I've tried rxvt-unicode - same thing
> > > happens. I'm using Debian Sid; shell is bash.
> > >
> > > I'll ask on the vim list as well.
> >
> > Someone on the vim list who uses xmonad can't reproduce this bug, and I
> > still don't know why it happens. But I've found a simple workround,
> > which is to alias gvim to gvim -f. This prevents gvim from forking. Not
> > an ideal solution but at least it doesn't crash.
>
> I use Debian sid and gvim a lot, and have not yet observed anything like
> that... we definitely need more hints before we can do something about
> this.
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim

After some more experimenting, I've discovered the following:

The crash only occurs if the terminal from which I start gvim is NOT
fullscreen. If I try to start it from the first teminal I open after
starting xmonad, it does crash even though the terminal is fullscreen.

In that case (starting from first terminal opened), I get two windows,
one with xterm, the other with gvim. If I switch to the xterm and close
it, gvim is then fullscreen and works correctly.

So provided I always start from a fullscreen terminal there is no
problem.

Any explanation for this?

Anthony Campbell - ac at acampbell.org.uk

Am Mittwoch, den 21.09.2011, 13:10 +0100 schrieb Anthony Campbell:

> If I start gvim (GUI version of vim) in a terminal I get an error
> message and gvim locks up. The message is:

> E852: The child process failed to start the GUI[xcb] Unknown sequence
> number while processing queue
>
> [xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has
> not been called
>
> [xcb] Aborting, sorry about that. gvim: ../../src/xcb_io.c:273:
> poll_for_event: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost' failed.

I?m starting to getting these as well, although only when when _quit_
gvim... no idea about causes and fixes, though.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 198 bytes

lockup when starting gvim in terminal

lumber
Same shit. An archlinux user but i have the same errors with gvim
and no errors with 'gvim &'.
I'm using x86_64 multi-core system now
(i have i686 one-cored celeron and things are fine there).
I do not use xmonad - notion instead, so it definitely not related to wm.

Software versions:
kernel: 3.0.4-1
gvim: 7.3.322-1
xorg-server: 1.10.4-1

On 02 Oct 2011, lumber wrote:

> Same shit. An archlinux user but i have the same errors with gvim
> and no errors with 'gvim &'.
> I'm using x86_64 multi-core system now
> (i have i686 one-cored celeron and things are fine there).
> I do not use xmonad - notion instead, so it definitely not related to wm.
>
> Software versions:
> kernel: 3.0.4-1
> gvim: 7.3.322-1
> xorg-server: 1.10.4-1

So we seem to have eliminated xmonad as the source of the bug; it seems
to be something about tiling WMs in general. That leaves either (g)vim
or xorg. I tried to compile an earlier version of vim to test this but I
always get an error about there being no ncurses library so I have to
use the standard Debian package.

Anthony Campbell - ac at acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks at

lockup when starting gvim in terminal

Jesus Sanchez
Downgrading gvim from 7.3.322 to 7.3.266 fixed the locking issue on my system.

Gentoo Linux 3.0.4 x64
- xorg-1.10.4
- libX11-1.4.4
- xmonad-0.9.2
- gvim-7.3.266

On 07 Oct 2011, Jesus Sanchez wrote:
> Downgrading gvim from 7.3.322 to 7.3.266 fixed the locking issue on my system.
>
> Gentoo Linux 3.0.4 x64
> - xorg-1.10.4
> - libX11-1.4.4
> - xmonad-0.9.2
> - gvim-7.3.266

Yes; I couldn't find that version but I did get 7.2 and that fixes the
bug. I needed to apply patch 257 to prevent another error from
appearing.

Anthony Campbell - ac at acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks at

lockup when starting gvim in terminal

Wirt Wolff
Excerpts from Jesus Sanchez's message of Fri Oct 07 05:24:40 -0600 2011:
> Downgrading gvim from 7.3.322 to 7.3.266 fixed the locking issue on my system.
>
> Gentoo Linux 3.0.4 x64
> - xorg-1.10.4
> - libX11-1.4.4
> - xmonad-0.9.2
> - gvim-7.3.266

Hmm, this one's puzzling. I've seen neither startup nor quit problems
with gvim using either 7.3.322 (~ two months) or 266 (this week)
versions. This is running gvim from shell, GNU screen, runOrRaise
prompt, or started by firefox/pentadactyl to edit an input form.

FWIW gvim immediately becomes a child of init here, rather than staying
in foreground.

Also running gentoo with 3.0.4 kernel
    xorg-server-1.11.1
    libX11-1.4.4

--
regards,
wmw

lockup when starting gvim in terminal

Andrew Mao
I get this while running a Java GUI application ... nothing to do with gvim, and
the VM just terminates after showing that message.

lockup when starting gvim in terminal

Anthony Campbell
The bug is fixed in the latest version of vim in Sid:  2:7.3.346-1.

Anthony

Anthony Campbell - ac at acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks
at http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/acampbell