make -jN loops on Windows

Kyle Van Berendonck
Hi Simon,

I think this is a MinGW bug. If we're talking about the same bug (lockup,
no console output, task manager shows cpu but it doesn't produce files,
etc) I get it when building other projects with -j too and I don't think
its GHC's fault.

Regards,

Kyle Van Berendonck
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

make -jN loops on Windows

Niklas Larsson
Hi!

Are you using make -j with or without number of jobs? I tried with make -j4
on my Windows 8 machine and it worked well.

Niklas

2013/8/27 Kyle Van Berendonck <kvanberendonck at gmail.com>

> Hi Simon,
>
> I think this is a MinGW bug. If we're talking about the same bug (lockup,
> no console output, task manager shows cpu but it doesn't produce files,
> etc) I get it when building other projects with -j too and I don't think
> its GHC's fault.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kyle Van Berendonck

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

make -jN loops on Windows

Kyle Van Berendonck
Hi,

With the number of jobs. ie, on my laptops A8-3500M that's -j4.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Niklas Larsson <metaniklas at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Are you using make -j with or without number of jobs? I tried with make
> -j4 on my Windows 8 machine and it worked well.
>
> Niklas
>

> 2013/8/27 Kyle Van Berendonck <kvanberendonck at gmail.com>
>
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> I think this is a MinGW bug. If we're talking about the same bug (lockup,
>> no console output, task manager shows cpu but it doesn't produce files,
>> etc) I get it when building other projects with -j too and I don't think
>> its GHC's fault.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kyle Van Berendonck

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

make -jN loops on Windows

Simon Peyton Jones
I tried make -j2, which locked up.  "sh validate" used -j but I'm not sure with what N.

It's tantalising if it worked for you!  And it worked fine on my old Win7 laptop.  Where did you get your mingw/msys installation from?  I got mine from http://www.mingw.org/, using the download installer "Mingw-get-setup.exe".

I have also just unravelled another bizarre failure, which I'll describe in a separate email.  Sadly resolving the latter does not fix the make -j2 problem.

Simon

make -jN loops on Windows

Niklas Larsson
Hi!

I have a hint of what could be wrong.

I looked through my configuration and saw that I used integer-simple. When
I changed it to integer-gmp it blew up with -j4 (it didn't hang though, it
errored out in the linking phase). The build went fine after I reran
without -j.

Niklas

2013/8/28 Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>

>  I tried make ?j2, which locked up.  ?sh validate? used ?j but I?m not
> sure with what N.****
>
> ** **
>
> It?s tantalising if it worked for you!  And it worked fine on my old Win7
> laptop.  Where did you get your mingw/msys installation from?  I got mine
> from http://www.mingw.org/, using the download installer
> ?Mingw-get-setup.exe?.****
>
> ** **
>
> I have also just unravelled another bizarre failure, which I?ll describe
> in a separate email.  Sadly resolving the latter does not fix the make ?j2
> problem.****
>
> ** **
>
> Simon****
>
> ** **

I was using integer-gmp. And sadly make -j2 locks up way before getting to integer-gmp.

Simon

make -jN loops on Windows

Niklas Larsson
Other than using integer-simple I haven't done anything strange, just
standard mingw. I'm using the 'quick' flavour in my build.mk.

One thing to try is to use -d with make (and maybe tee the output to a
file, it produces tons of stuff). Then it may be possible to pinpoint where
it hangs.

Niklas