missing Control.Monad.State

Hal Daume III-3
Hi all --

Something weird just happened and I feel bad asking on the list for help
(because it's a dumb question), but I've racked my brains and can't
figure it out.

I've been happily using ghc for some time now.  My current machine died,
and the computer folks gave me a new one.  Both my old and new were
running ubuntu.  The new machine came in and I apt-get installed ghc6
ghc6-prof ghc6-docs haskell-mode ghc6-libsrc.  But when I try to run ghc
on a module that uses Control.Monad.State, I get:

~ ghc --make -fglasgow-exts Main.hs -o hbc
Core.hs:24:7:
     Could not find module `Control.Monad.State':
       Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

If I say -v, I get:

Glasgow Haskell Compiler, Version 6.6, for Haskell 98, compiled by GHC
version 6.6
Using package config file: /usr/lib/ghc-6.6/package.conf
wired-in package base mapped to base-2.0
wired-in package rts mapped to rts-1.0
wired-in package haskell98 mapped to haskell98-1.0
wired-in package template-haskell mapped to template-haskell-2.0
Hsc static flags: -static
*** Chasing dependencies:
Chasing modules from: Main.hs

Core.hs:24:7:
     Could not find module `Control.Monad.State':
       locations searched:
         Control/Monad/State.hs
         Control/Monad/State.lhs
*** Deleting temp files:
Deleting:
*** Deleting temp dirs:
Deleting:

Looking in /usr/lib/ghc-6.6/package.conf, I don't find any mention of
Control.Monad.State (or anything with "State") for that matter.  A
"find" in /usr/lib/ghc-6.6 doesn't turn up anything called State, either.

I presume that I'm doing something incredibly stupid, but I'd appreciate
a bit of help!

Thanks!

  - Hal

--
  Hal Daume III --- me AT hal3 DOT name  |  http://hal3.name
  "Arrest this man, he talks in maths."  |  http://nlpers.blogspot.com

Re: missing Control.Monad.State

Bugzilla from alfonso.acosta@gmail.com
It seems you haven't the mtl package installed.

You can either get a custom package for your OS distribution or grab
it from hackage.

On Nov 11, 2007 2:29 PM, Hal Daume III <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all --
>
> Something weird just happened and I feel bad asking on the list for help
> (because it's a dumb question), but I've racked my brains and can't
> figure it out.
>
> I've been happily using ghc for some time now.  My current machine died,
> and the computer folks gave me a new one.  Both my old and new were
> running ubuntu.  The new machine came in and I apt-get installed ghc6
> ghc6-prof ghc6-docs haskell-mode ghc6-libsrc.  But when I try to run ghc
> on a module that uses Control.Monad.State, I get:
>

> ~ ghc --make -fglasgow-exts Main.hs -o hbc
> Core.hs:24:7:
>      Could not find module `Control.Monad.State':
>        Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
>
> If I say -v, I get:
>
> Glasgow Haskell Compiler, Version 6.6, for Haskell 98, compiled by GHC
> version 6.6
> Using package config file: /usr/lib/ghc-6.6/package.conf
> wired-in package base mapped to base-2.0
> wired-in package rts mapped to rts-1.0
> wired-in package haskell98 mapped to haskell98-1.0
> wired-in package template-haskell mapped to template-haskell-2.0
> Hsc static flags: -static
> *** Chasing dependencies:
> Chasing modules from: Main.hs
>
> Core.hs:24:7:
>      Could not find module `Control.Monad.State':
>        locations searched:
>          Control/Monad/State.hs
>          Control/Monad/State.lhs
> *** Deleting temp files:
> Deleting:
> *** Deleting temp dirs:
> Deleting:
>

> Looking in /usr/lib/ghc-6.6/package.conf, I don't find any mention of
> Control.Monad.State (or anything with "State") for that matter.  A
> "find" in /usr/lib/ghc-6.6 doesn't turn up anything called State, either.
>
> I presume that I'm doing something incredibly stupid, but I'd appreciate
> a bit of help!
>
> Thanks!
>
>   - Hal
>

> --
>   Hal Daume III --- me AT hal3 DOT name  |  http://hal3.name
>   "Arrest this man, he talks in maths."  |  http://nlpers.blogspot.com

Re: missing Control.Monad.State

Ian Lynagh
On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 06:29:36AM -0700, Hal Daume III wrote:

> running ubuntu.  The new machine came in and I apt-get installed ghc6
> ghc6-prof ghc6-docs haskell-mode ghc6-libsrc.

You probably need libghc6-mtl-dev.

Thanks
Ian