new llvm IR callbr instruction useful for proc-point splitting?

new llvm IR callbr instruction useful for proc-point splitting?

George Colpitts
Hi

I hope this question isn't too dumb. llvm has a new callbr instruction to implement asm-goto

Re: new llvm IR callbr instruction useful for proc-point splitting?

Kavon Farvardin
Yes, callbr is part of the discussion on removing proc-point splitting!

Soon there will be an announcement about a new working group dedicated to LLVM issues such as this one on this mailing list. Anyone interested is welcome to join our meetings.

We're currently gathering our notes together first, but you can have a look here for a preview: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/commentary/compiler/LLVM-Backend-Optimization

On Sun, 2019-06-23 at 12:00 -0300, George Colpitts wrote:
Hi

I hope this question isn't too dumb. llvm has a new callbr instruction to implement asm-goto

Re: new llvm IR callbr instruction useful for proc-point splitting?

Ben Gamari-2
Kavon Farvardin <[hidden email]> writes:

> Yes, callbr is part of the discussion on removing proc-point splitting!
> Soon there will be an announcement about a new working group dedicated to LLVM
> issues such as this one on this mailing list. Anyone interested is welcome to
> join our meetings.
> We're currently gathering our notes together first, but you can have a look here
> for a preview:
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/commentary/compiler/LLVM-Backend-Optimization

I, for one, would love to see us try using the native stack register for
reasons entirely separate from performance. Namely, it would make using
existing debugging and performance analysis tools (e.g. perf) much
easier.

I believe that Andreas Klebinger has also suggested moving return point
info tables away from code. It would be interesting to get an estimate
of the size of this effect on performance.

Cheers,

- Ben