nofib’s cacheprof’s Allocations not deterministic

nofib’s cacheprof’s Allocations not deterministic

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

with most of nofib, one expects at least the Allocation numbers to be
reliably and deterministic. This is not the case with cacheprof, they
seem to wibble around by ~0.2%, which is strange.

Has anyone else noticed this yes, and if so, tried to find out the
cause? Is it expected and desired, or a bug somewhere?

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim ?nomeata? Breitner
  mail at joachim-breitner.de ? http://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  Debian Developer: nomeata at debian.org
nofib’s cacheprof’s Allocations not deterministic

Simon Marlow-7
On 10/12/13 18:30, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with most of nofib, one expects at least the Allocation numbers to be
> reliably and deterministic. This is not the case with cacheprof, they
> seem to wibble around by ~0.2%, which is strange.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this yes, and if so, tried to find out the
> cause? Is it expected and desired, or a bug somewhere?

It is neither expected nor desired, and if you could do anything to
diagnose it further that would be great.

Sometimes programs do things like generate a random temporary filename,
and that can lead to non-deterministic allocation.  If this program is
doing something like that, we should fix it so it doesn't.

Re: nofib’s cacheprof’s Allocations not deterministic

Nicolas Frisby
Just chiming in to say that I have also noticed that cacheprof's allocation
wiggles. I've seen it on linux and on mac

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de