Quantcast

non-linear complexity of :reload combined with :module in ghci

non-linear complexity of :reload combined with :module in ghci

Simon Hengel-3
Hi all,
I realized that ghci shows non-linear time complexity for a sequence of
:module and :reload commands, say we do multiple times:

  :module *Foo
  :reload

Steps to reproduce:

  time for i in {1..10}; do echo -e ':m Prelude\n:r'; done |ghci
  time for i in {1..99}; do echo -e ':m Prelude\n:r'; done |ghci

On my system the first run uses 1 second of CPU time, the second 39
seconds.  Is this considered a bug?

Re: non-linear complexity of :reload combined with :module in ghci

Simon Marlow-7
On 04/07/2011 22:45, Simon Hengel wrote:

> Hi all,
> I realized that ghci shows non-linear time complexity for a sequence of
> :module and :reload commands, say we do multiple times:
>
>    :module *Foo
>    :reload
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
>    time for i in {1..10}; do echo -e ':m Prelude\n:r'; done |ghci
>    time for i in {1..99}; do echo -e ':m Prelude\n:r'; done |ghci
>
> On my system the first run uses 1 second of CPU time, the second 39
> seconds.  Is this considered a bug?

Could you create a ticket please?  That looks like an interesting result
and we should investigate.

Re: non-linear complexity of :reload combined with :module in ghci

Simon Hengel-3
> Could you create a ticket please?  That looks like an interesting
> result and we should investigate.
done [1]

Cheers.

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5317