powerful type checking & false expectations that a program is correct

powerful type checking & false expectations that a program is correct

Isaac Gouy-2
Programmers who use languages without static type
checking sometimes claim that static type checking
gives folk the false impression that once the program
passes type checking the program is correct.

That always seemed silly to me, but I'm starting to
wonder ;-)

Of course, the shootout programs are a silly
entertainment; but after taking the time to optimise
and write the programs, I'm a little surprised that
there have been Haskell contributions which just don't
give 'the correct answer' in a way that visual
inspection with the expected answer would detect.

For example
   ackermann Haskell GHC program
   regex-dna (new) Haskell GHC #2 program

Oh well, they are just easy to fix formating bugs :-)