problem with cabal on snow leopard

Carter Schonwald
Hello all,
I can't seem to find it documented anywhere as to the default directories that cabal puts its information in  (its certainly not in ~/.cabal ),  as I'm finding that even when I try to do a "reinstall" of the haskell platform, cabal thinks that all the libraries i removed are still there. how can i fix this?

thanks
-Carter

Re: problem with cabal on snow leopard

Gwern Branwen
On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Carter Schonwald
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I can't seem to find it documented anywhere as to the default directories
> that cabal puts its information in  (its certainly not in ~/.cabal ),  as
> I'm finding that even when I try to do a "reinstall" of the haskell
> platform, cabal thinks that all the libraries i removed are still there. how
> can i fix this?
> thanks
> -Carter

~/.cabal doesn't store regular Haskell stuff; if you try one of the
few uncabalized autotools-based Haskell packages, you'd see your other
Cabal-based libs & progs picking it up. Cabal installs stuff and
registers it with GHC, which maintains the master database of what's
installed; eg. 'ghc-pkg list'. This is usually kept in ~/.ghc:
find ~/.ghc/ :
.ghc/
.ghc/ghci_history
.ghc/i386-linux-6.10.4
.ghc/i386-linux-6.10.4/package.conf

--
gwern

Re: problem with cabal on snow leopard

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:
> I can't seem to find it documented anywhere as to the default directories
> that cabal puts its information in  (its certainly not in ~/.cabal ),  as
> I'm finding that even when I try to do a "reinstall" of the haskell
> platform, cabal thinks that all the libraries i removed are still there. how
> can i fix this?

Cabal uses the ghc-pkg "database" to know which libraries are installed.
If you want to wipe everything and start afresh, then delete the ~/.ghc
directory (assuming you did per-user installs).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]

Re: problem with cabal on snow leopard

Carter Schonwald
the deleting .ghc/ solves that problem, but another problem i've had is that when trying to build gtk2hs, I'm unable to find the package.conf file that apparently needs to be modfied, and only  a package.conf.d  folder.... are these somehow the same thing or where is it hidden/what am i overlooking?

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:
> I can't seem to find it documented anywhere as to the default directories
> that cabal puts its information in  (its certainly not in ~/.cabal ),  as
> I'm finding that even when I try to do a "reinstall" of the haskell
> platform, cabal thinks that all the libraries i removed are still there. how
> can i fix this?

Cabal uses the ghc-pkg "database" to know which libraries are installed.
If you want to wipe everything and start afresh, then delete the ~/.ghc
directory (assuming you did per-user installs).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Re: problem with cabal on snow leopard

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> writes:

> the deleting .ghc/ solves that problem, but another problem i've had is that
> when trying to build gtk2hs, I'm unable to find the package.conf file that
> apparently needs to be modfied, and only  a package.conf.d  folder.... are
> these somehow the same thing or where is it hidden/what am i
> overlooking?

There is as yet no release of gtk2hs that works with GHC 6.12.1.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com