proposal to have new proposals in new threads Re: rfc: include bimap into Data.Either

proposal to have new proposals in new threads Re: rfc: include bimap into Data.Either

Carter Schonwald
Hey all,
if you agree that new proposals should be voted on in new/distinct threads (though can certainly be hammered out before hand), please chime in. This seems to come up a lot (at least in my naive following of the list) and if a new proposal appears in a thread you've already voted on, its hard to know curretly

thoughts?

Re: proposal to have new proposals in new threads Re: rfc: include bimap into Data.Either

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 22 April 2014 01:41, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey all,
> if you agree that new proposals should be voted on in new/distinct threads
> (though can certainly be hammered out before hand), please chime in. This
> seems to come up a lot (at least in my naive following of the list) and if a
> new proposal appears in a thread you've already voted on, its hard to know
> curretly
>
> thoughts?

I suppose the problem then is we have n different threads with
slightly varying proposals, no way to keep them in sync or to even
track them all (especially if someone comes late to the party and
misses the other threads).

I'm on the fence about this.

IIUC, this is what Google Wave would have been good for...

The other alternative would be to have explicitly numbered alternate
proposals and people would actually state which one they were voting
for.  But I don't see that working well either.

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 7:55 AM, Alexander Berntsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Re: proposal to have new proposals in new threads Re: rfc: include bimap into Data.Either

Edward Kmett-2
Utimately the libraries@ submission process is about achieving consensus as much as possible, rather than just up and down vote tallying. Needlessly fragmenting all discussion on a given topic into microscopically detailed threads makes it very difficult to follow the sweep of opinion. To that end I would encourage people to be clear about what parts of a given proposal you like or dislike rather than just say +1 or -1 without indicating why.

This captures the essence of the library submissions process as we have it described below.

-Edward

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,
if you agree that new proposals should be voted on in new/distinct threads (though can certainly be hammered out before hand), please chime in. This seems to come up a lot (at least in my naive following of the list) and if a new proposal appears in a thread you've already voted on, its hard to know curretly

thoughts?

Re: proposal to have new proposals in new threads

Henning Thielemann-4
Am 21.04.2014 23:03, schrieb Edward Kmett:
> Utimately the libraries@ submission process is about achieving consensus
> as much as possible, rather than just up and down vote tallying.

Btw. I have read that it is easier to find a consensus by not counting
up and down votes, but by only counting different grades of down-votes.