putStr "\BEL" and putStr "\ESC[2J" do not behave correctly

putStr "\BEL" and putStr "\ESC[2J" do not behave correctly

Henk-Jan van Tuyl

The following problems occurred in WinHugs (version: Sep 2006, on Windows
XP):

Printing the BELL character does not result in a beep:
Hugs> putStr "\BEL"

Trying to clear the screen:
Hugs> putStr "\ESC[2J"
[2J

In Hugs (version: 20051031), the BELL character results in a beep, but the
CLS escape code had the same effect as in WinHugs.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--
http://functor.bamikanarie.com
http://Van.Tuyl.eu/

Re: putStr "\BEL" and putStr "\ESC[2J" do not behave correctly

Neil Mitchell
Hi Henk-Jan,

> The following problems occurred in WinHugs (version: Sep 2006, on Windows
> XP):
>
> Printing the BELL character does not result in a beep:
> Hugs> putStr "\BEL"
>
> Trying to clear the screen:
> Hugs> putStr "\ESC[2J"
> [2J

I guess these escape codes just never got on to the implemented list.
The bell is trivial, and clearing the screen probably isn't too hard
either. At the moment I don't have any machines set up that can
compile WinHugs, but I've reported it as a bug:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hugs/ticket/88

Thanks

Neil