"Failed to load interface for ..."

Bulat Ziganshin
Hello ,

how about adding suggestion to use "--make" to the following error
message? it would be very helpful for novices. i have run into this
problem several times before memoized that suggestion to use "-v"
actually means that i forgot to add "--make" :)

C:\!\Haskell\cpphs> ghc -O2 Main.hs

Main.hs:17:0:
    Failed to load interface for `RunCpphs':
        Could not find module `RunCpphs': use -v to see a list of the files searched for

 Bulat                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: "Failed to load interface for ..."

sethk
How about changing it so --make is the default?  I always use it.  To me, that makes it logical as the default.  Of course there are reasons not to do this, such as not breaking peoples build scripts, and no doubt others I'm overlooking at the moment.  A flag to select the old behavior would take care of the build script problem, especially if it were also possible to use an environment variable (instead of, or perhaps available in addition to, a command line flag) to select the old behavior.  (It isn't old, obviously, but I'm sure everyone knows what I mean.)

Seth Kurtzberg

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:54:26 +0300
Bulat Ziganshin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello ,
>
> how about adding suggestion to use "--make" to the following error
> message? it would be very helpful for novices. i have run into this
> problem several times before memoized that suggestion to use "-v"
> actually means that i forgot to add "--make" :)
>

> C:\!\Haskell\cpphs> ghc -O2 Main.hs
>
> Main.hs:17:0:
>     Failed to load interface for `RunCpphs':
>         Could not find module `RunCpphs': use -v to see a list of the files searched for
>

> --
> Best regards,
>  Bulat                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: "Failed to load interface for ..."

Simon Marlow
Defaulting to --make would make sense, as would a complete re-design of
the command-line syntax, but for the same reasons I don't think it's a
good idea.  I don't want to break a lot of build systems for purely
aesthetical reasons.

Seth Kurtzberg wrote:

> How about changing it so --make is the default?  I always use it.  To me, that makes it logical as the default.  Of course there are reasons not to do this, such as not breaking peoples build scripts, and no doubt others I'm overlooking at the moment.  A flag to select the old behavior would take care of the build script problem, especially if it were also possible to use an environment variable (instead of, or perhaps available in addition to, a command line flag) to select the old behavior.  (It isn't old, obviously, but I'm sure everyone knows what I mean.)
>
> Seth Kurtzberg
>

> On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:54:26 +0300
> Bulat Ziganshin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Hello ,
>>
>>how about adding suggestion to use "--make" to the following error
>>message? it would be very helpful for novices. i have run into this
>>problem several times before memoized that suggestion to use "-v"
>>actually means that i forgot to add "--make" :)
>>

>>C:\!\Haskell\cpphs> ghc -O2 Main.hs
>>
>>Main.hs:17:0:
>>    Failed to load interface for `RunCpphs':
>>        Could not find module `RunCpphs': use -v to see a list of the files searched for
>>

>>--
>>Best regards,
>> Bulat                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re[2]: "Failed to load interface for ..."

Bulat Ziganshin
Hello Simon,

so i propose just to add words about "--make" to the error message