"cabal quine"

Albert Y. C. Lai
Today a few of us on IRC (freenode #haskell) discovered: The following
cabal-install command

     cabal manpage

outputs cabal-install's man page (and is mainly how cabal-install can
come with a man page without carrying an extra source file).

This inspires the following feature request in jest:

Could "cabal quine" output its source code please? :)

kthxbye

Re: "cabal quine"

Aloïs Cochard
Hi Albert,

I definitely see uses for `cabal manpage`; it's great, but how useful would be `cabal quine` in practice?

I fail to see what purpose it could serve.

Cheers

On 15 July 2017 at 19:37, Albert Y. C. Lai <[hidden email]> wrote:
Today a few of us on IRC (freenode #haskell) discovered: The following cabal-install command

    cabal manpage

outputs cabal-install's man page (and is mainly how cabal-install can come with a man page without carrying an extra source file).

This inspires the following feature request in jest:

Could "cabal quine" output its source code please? :)

kthxbye

Re: "cabal quine"

Joachim Durchholz
Am 18.07.2017 um 14:34 schrieb Aloïs Cochard:
> Hi Albert,
>
> I definitely see uses for `cabal manpage`; it's great, but how useful
> would be `cabal quine` in practice?
>
> I fail to see what purpose it could serve.

That's exactly why he wrote that his request is "in jest": It's useless,
just the logical generalization of `cabal manpage`.

> Cheers
>
> On 15 July 2017 at 19:37, Albert Y. C. Lai <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Today a few of us on IRC (freenode #haskell) discovered: The
>     following cabal-install command
>
>          cabal manpage
>
>     outputs cabal-install's man page (and is mainly how cabal-install
>     can come with a man page without carrying an extra source file).
>
>     This inspires the following feature request in jest:
>
>     Could "cabal quine" output its source code please? :)
>
>     kthxbye
>     Only members subscribed via the mailman list are allowed to post.
>

> --
> *Λ\oïs*
> http://twitter.com/aloiscochard
> http://github.com/aloiscochard

Re: "cabal quine"

Daniel Trstenjak-2

> That's exactly why he wrote that his request is "in jest": It's useless,
> just the logical generalization of `cabal manpage`.

In Haskell everything is abstract, even the humor. ;)

Re: "cabal quine"

Aloïs Cochard
Thanks all for teaching me English expressions :-)

Everything is abstract around here indeed, had no idea what "in jest" means!