"winhugs /edit" problem

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"winhugs /edit" problem

Olivier Lefevre
Could someone explain *precisely* what happens when one tries
to execute that command? It gives me a registry error that I'd
like to debug but I don't have a clear idea of what this is
doing under the cover.

Thanks,

-- O.L.

_______________________________________________
Hugs-Bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/hugs-bugs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "winhugs /edit" problem

Neil Mitchell
Hi Olivier,

On clicking edit it tries to determine which editor it should use. If
you haven't set any editors, it takes a look in the registry to see
what editors you have installed, and picks the most appropriate one.
If it doesn't find any good editors, it falls back to notepad.

If you go to options, and pick an explicit editor, that will bypass
the search mechanism. My guess is that if you were to install TextPad
(www.textpad.com) then it would start working, since I have TextPad on
all my machines, and may not have tested in the absence of TextPad.

Thanks, Neil

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Olivier Lefevre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could someone explain *precisely* what happens when one tries
> to execute that command? It gives me a registry error that I'd
> like to debug but I don't have a clear idea of what this is
> doing under the cover.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- O.L.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Hugs-Bugs mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/hugs-bugs
>
_______________________________________________
Hugs-Bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/hugs-bugs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "winhugs /edit" problem

Olivier Lefevre
Hi Neil,

Thanks but that's still too vague to be actionable.

 > My guess is that if you were to install TextPad then it would
 > start working, since I have TextPad on all my machines, and may
 > not have tested in the absence of TextPad.

Actually I do have TextPad and I get: "Cannot find key
'TextPad\shell\open\ddeexec\application' in registration
database (error 2)" which, as I said in my first email, is
the same error that I get when trying "winhugs /edit" from
the command line. I speculated that was the command because
that is the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\hugs_haskell\shell\Edit\command
key but it is clear that more happens under the cover after that.

Under Options, TextPad is already the selected editor, so that
doesn't help me. The (grayed out) command is "C:\Programme\
Textpad 5\System\DDEOPN32.EXE TextPad %s(%d)". Trying to execute
that from the Windows shell gives the same error as above.

I think the mistake is to look for a TextPad entry: there
isn't one. Instead there are Textpad.dde and TextPad.tws
entries and I guess Textpad.dde is the correct one since it
has the shell\open\ddeexec\application key. But whose mistake
is it: TextPad's or WinHugs' and how does one go about fixing it?

-- O.L.

_______________________________________________
Hugs-Bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/hugs-bugs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "winhugs /edit" problem

Neil Mitchell
Hi Olivier,

> Actually I do have TextPad and I get: "Cannot find key
> 'TextPad\shell\open\ddeexec\application' in registration
> database (error 2)" which, as I said in my first email, is
> the same error that I get when trying "winhugs /edit" from
> the command line. I speculated that was the command because
> that is the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\hugs_haskell\shell\Edit\command
> key but it is clear that more happens under the cover after that.
>
> Under Options, TextPad is already the selected editor, so that
> doesn't help me. The (grayed out) command is "C:\Programme\
> Textpad 5\System\DDEOPN32.EXE TextPad %s(%d)". Trying to execute
> that from the Windows shell gives the same error as above.

The fact that running the TextPad command gives a registry error means
it's TextPad that is at fault. I know roughly what WinHugs does, but
have absolutely no idea what TextPad does. The command is grayed out
because it was automatically inferred, but change to a custom editor
and you can edit it. All WinHugs does on /edit is invoke whatever that
command line is after substituting %s for the filename and %d for the
line number.

> I think the mistake is to look for a TextPad entry: there
> isn't one. Instead there are Textpad.dde and TextPad.tws
> entries and I guess Textpad.dde is the correct one since it
> has the shell\open\ddeexec\application key. But whose mistake
> is it: TextPad's or WinHugs' and how does one go about fixing it?

TextPad is at fault. You can work round the textpad bug by changing
the editor command line to something else, or try and bring it up in
the TextPad support forum. Or try reinstalling TextPad.

Thanks, Neil
_______________________________________________
Hugs-Bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/hugs-bugs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "winhugs /edit" problem

Olivier Lefevre
OK but what's the relationship between "winhugs /edit" and
"DDEOPN32.EXE TextPad %s(%d)": is the former just a kind of
alias for the latter?

-- O.L.

_______________________________________________
Hugs-Bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/hugs-bugs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "winhugs /edit" problem

Neil Mitchell
> OK but what's the relationship between "winhugs /edit" and
> "DDEOPN32.EXE TextPad %s(%d)": is the former just a kind of
> alias for the latter?

winhugs /edit is an alias for whichever text editor you've got set in
your WinHugs options. In your case it is an alias for the DDEOPN32
command, but if you edit your WinHugs options it will change to
following that preference.

Thanks, Neil
_______________________________________________
Hugs-Bugs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/hugs-bugs