raspberrypi and ghci

Vasili I. Galchin
Hello,

         I have a B++ pi. I did a "apt-get install haskell-platform. No " ghci"!. So I did a google on this issue. Circa 2013 ghci seemed to be an issue with raspberrypi/arm. What is the current status of "ghci" on the pi/arm??.

Vasili

Re: raspberrypi and ghci

Ben Gamari-2
"Vasili I. Galchin" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have a B++ pi. I did a "apt-get install haskell-platform. No "
> ghci"!. So I did a google on this issue. Circa 2013 ghci seemed to be
> an issue with raspberrypi/arm. What is the current status of "ghci" on
> the pi/arm??.

With dynamic linking and the LLVM backend GHC 7.8 is quite usable on
ARM. Unfortunately, much of the distributions' packaging hasn't been
updated to reflect this. Debian builds in experimental (starting with
7.8.20141119-8) now build GHCi on ARM; it may take a while for this to
propagate to Raspbian. When I have more bandwidth I'll see if we might
be able to start providing some unofficial Debian builds for ARM
platforms.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: raspberrypi and ghci

Vasili I. Galchin
Hi Ben,

        Cabal also doesn't seem to be supported on raspberrypi??

         What is the URL of your group that is porting Haskell  to the raspberrypi?

Vasili

On Sunday, March 8, 2015, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
"Vasili I. Galchin" <<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;vigalchin@gmail.com&#39;)">vigalchin@...> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have a B++ pi. I did a "apt-get install haskell-platform. No "
> ghci"!. So I did a google on this issue. Circa 2013 ghci seemed to be
> an issue with raspberrypi/arm. What is the current status of "ghci" on
> the pi/arm??.

With dynamic linking and the LLVM backend GHC 7.8 is quite usable on
ARM. Unfortunately, much of the distributions' packaging hasn't been
updated to reflect this. Debian builds in experimental (starting with
7.8.20141119-8) now build GHCi on ARM; it may take a while for this to
propagate to Raspbian. When I have more bandwidth I'll see if we might
be able to start providing some unofficial Debian builds for ARM
platforms.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: raspberrypi and ghci

Ben Gamari-2
"Vasili I. Galchin" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ben,

Hi Vasili!

> Cabal also doesn't seem to be supported on raspberrypi??

Cabal should run perfectly well on as should most pure Haskell libraries
found on Hackage. Cabal is packaged for Debian under the name
`cabal-install`.

> What is the URL of your group that is porting Haskell  to the raspberrypi?

It's not so much an organized group as a few loosely-coupled individual
GHC developers interested in ensuring GHC is well-supported on ARM
(Cc'd; apologies if I have forgotten someone). While the Raspberry Pi
should work, I don't know of any developers who actively test on it due
to its quite anemic specifications; even on my four-core Odroid XU a GHC
build takes much of the day. There have been a few issues [1,2] specific to
the pre-ARMv6 (e.g. quite old) ARM core that the Raspberry Pi uses but I
believe these have been sorted out (unfortunately #9125 will still be
present in GHC 7.10 as it is apparentlly an LLVM bug).

The GHC-on-ARM effort doesn't have a website per-se.  I occassionally
write around related issues on my blog [3,4]. The GHC Wiki has some
relevant material, although it can be difficult to tell what is
out-of-date. The mailing lists and issue tracker are good repositories
for knowledge when things go awry.

I think it is fair to say that much of the compiler engineering work is
done and stable; the GHC 7.8 builds on my ARM boxes are just as
functional as my x86_64-based laptop. Most of the issues we have
encountered arose from bugs in external components of the compilation
process (linkers, in particular, are problematic) and maintaining the
LLVM backend (which should improve notably with GHC 7.12 which will
support only one LLVM release).

All of the developers mentioned above are available on IRC (#ghc on
Freenode) and the ghc-devs mailing list. If you run in to trouble don't
hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/9125