reporting my progress in building ghc 8 on latest smartos

reporting my progress in building ghc 8 on latest smartos

GHC - devs mailing list

freenode server seems in trouble for this while, and I'd like to take this chance to report my progress to the mailing lists.

 I'm thankful to folks at #ghc and #smartos who helped me so much in this journey, especially bgamari, without his hints and bleeding edge patches this won't be possible at all.

And https://www.mail-archive.com/smartos-discuss@.../msg05016.html provided the information to get me started at all.

So far what's done:

    :: installed 7.6.3 -> booted 7.10.3 -> booted 8.2.2 -> booted 8.4.4 -> booted 8.6.5 -> booted 8.8.2

Notable issues as I remembered: (I don't remember the details clearly, anyway am to redo it all over again to have everything logged for reprod)

  • `gmake -i` is used to build 8.2.2 to workaround the stage1 ghc crash after target file generated
  • 8.6.5's ghci won't start

 [root@hswander /build/ghc8]# /opt/local/ghc8.6.5/bin/ghci
 GHCi, version 8.6.5: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
 ghc: loadArchive: Not an archive: `/usr/lib/iconv'
 ghc: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
   (GHC version 8.6.5 for x86_64-unknown-solaris2):
         loadArchive "/usr/lib/iconv": failed
 Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug

  •   worth to mention that I needed to put "SplitSections=YES" into mk/build.mk even for 8.8.2 or it'll fail, might be unexpected.

 And dtrace compiler on latest SmartOS don't support C++ style line comment, so I applied this patch to 8.8.2 https://gitlab.haskell.org/snippets/1549

Meanwhile I'm starting a fresh smartos vm to repeat (and log) all steps to make sure others and future me can follow such a reproducible procedure to build later versions.

Cheers,

Compl

Re: reporting my progress in building ghc 8 on latest smartos

Ben Gamari-3
Thanks for writing this down!

The dtrace patch is certainly something that we can merge as-is. Do let us know if there are any other patches that you find are necessary.

- Ben

On February 4, 2020 6:54:48 AM EST, Compl Yue via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The reproducible logs and patches are done as I reported in another email, and now I can confirm the dtrace patch is the only one eligible to be merged, all other patches for SmartOS builds only do backporting. FYI

https://gitlab.haskell.org/complyue/smart-ghc8/blob/master/ghc-arts/ghc-8.8.2_includes_HsFFI.h.patch

And thank you again for being excellently helpful!

Cheers,

Compl