status and future of haskell98 and haskell2010 packages

status and future of haskell98 and haskell2010 packages

Andrey Chudnov
Hello,
My e-mail was rejected from [hidden email] (the official
maintenance contact of the two packages in question), so I'm trying my
luck here instead. Hoping I can get some answers on the following questions:

1. What is the status of `haskell2010` and `haskell98` packages? Are
they supported? Deprecated? In need of new maintainers?

2. Assuming the answer to the previous question is "alive and well", are
there any plans to release new versions of those for GHC 7.10 and beyond?

Thanks in advance,
Andrey

Re: status and future of haskell98 and haskell2010 packages

Herbert Valerio Riedel
On 2015-10-08 at 00:08:43 +0200, Andrey Chudnov wrote:
> My e-mail was rejected from [hidden email] (the official
> maintenance contact of the two packages in question), so I'm trying my
> luck here instead. Hoping I can get some answers on the following
> questions:
>
> 1. What is the status of `haskell2010` and `haskell98` packages? Are
> they supported? Deprecated? In need of new maintainers?

Short answer: with GHC 7.10 it is not possible anymore to implement a
proper[1] `haskell98` or `haskell2010` package anymore.

More details can be found at https://ghc.haskell.org/ticket/9590

> 2. Assuming the answer to the previous question is "alive and well",
> are there any plans to release new versions of those for GHC 7.10 and
> beyond?

In order to be able to recover support for a `haskell2010` package in
newer GHCs, GHC will need to be extended in some way. I can think of two
different paths to pursue to accomplish this, depending on whether
type(classes) need to be shared with `base` or not. Moreover, it wasn't
clear how much actual demand there really is to have the recent GHCs
support a legacy `haskell2010` mode.

So if there's somebody interested in resuscitating a
`haskell98`/`haskell2010` package, please tell us what your use-case is
(to help understand whether type(class) sharing w/ `base` is essential
or not -- it's *much* more easier to get this working w/o the typeclass
sharing requirement, whereas the typeclass-sharing variant might not
even be possible at all)

Cheers,
   hvr

 [1]: I.e. with the requirement that all code written conforming to the
      respective Haskell Report will be compileable via e.g.

      ghc -XHaskell2010 -hide-all-packages -package haskell2010 -c *.hs

      (to some degree, this was already broken before GHC 7.10
      due to the superclass-removal on `Num`, but with AMP this was
      broken beyond tolerance)