submodule instructions?

Richard Eisenberg-5
Hi devs,

Are there up-to-date instructions on how to deal with submodules in GHC?

https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/working-conventions/git/submodules does give nice information. It refers to https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/repositories to learn about specific repositories. But is that second page correct? It refers to e.g. GitHub as the upstream for Haddock. Will our new GitLab-based CI pull from GitHub's Haddock? And what if a contributor doesn't have commit access?

Maybe it's all there, but I don't quite see how a contributor can ensure that CI has access to patches on submodules.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: submodule instructions?

Ben Gamari-3
Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi devs,
>
> Are there up-to-date instructions on how to deal with submodules in GHC?
>
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/working-conventions/git/submodules
> <https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/working-conventions/git/submodules>
> does give nice information. It refers to
> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/repositories
> <https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/repositories> to learn about
> specific repositories. But is that second page correct? It refers to
> e.g. GitHub as the upstream for Haddock. Will our new GitLab-based CI
> pull from GitHub's Haddock? And what if a contributor doesn't have
> commit access?

Indeed GitHub is still the upstream for Haddock (although I think we
talk to the Haddock maintainers about this).

> Maybe it's all there, but I don't quite see how a contributor can
> ensure that CI has access to patches on submodules.

I have added a bit of language to [submodules] explaining how to
accomplish this. Do let me know if this is still unclear.

Cheers,

- Ben

[submodules]: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/wikis/working-conventions/git/submodules

Re: submodule instructions?

Richard Eisenberg-5

On Jan 17, 2020, at 9:15 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have added a bit of language to [submodules] explaining how to
accomplish this.

Very helpful -- thanks. A few questions (preferably answered directly on the wiki page):

- Who is the `ghc` group and how does one join this group (is there a link to the current membership)? Or: is there a way to get CI working for those outside this group?

- I don't see haddock listed under ghc/packages. I do see in the example a way to access haddock just at ghc/. Which one is correct? Are there submodules other than haddock that are not listed in ghc/packages?

Thanks!
Richard

Re: submodule instructions?

Ben Gamari-3
Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> writes:

>> On Jan 17, 2020, at 9:15 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have added a bit of language to [submodules] explaining how to
>> accomplish this.
>
> Very helpful -- thanks. A few questions (preferably answered directly on the wiki page):
>
> - Who is the `ghc` group and how does one join this group (is there a
> link to the current membership)? Or: is there a way to get CI working
> for those outside this group?

I've clarified this on the wiki but to summarize: The "ghc group" is
found here [1] and pretty much anyone who is interested in contributing
can request to be a member (with "developer" role). This gives you the
ability to push wip/ branches to any project in the ghc/ namespace.

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc

> - I don't see haddock listed under ghc/packages. I do see in the
> example a way to access haddock just at ghc/. Which one is correct?
> Are there submodules other than haddock that are not listed in
> ghc/packages?

For historical reasons haddock is located under ghc/haddock, not
ghc/packages/haddock.

Re: submodule instructions?

Richard Eisenberg-5
Great -- thanks. I think it's all clarified now.

Richard