submodules

GHC - devs mailing list

Devs

I want to build a GHC from someone else repo; this one actually [hidden email].

But when I clone it, and then do git submodule init; git submodule update, I get lots of

git submodule update

Cloning into '.arc-linters/arcanist-external-json-linter'...

ERROR: Repository not found.

and the repository exists.

Clone of '[hidden email]:Tritlo/arcanist-external-json-linter.git' into submodule path '.arc-linters/arcanist-external-json-linter' failed

simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/code/ghc-holes$

What is the kosher way to do this?

Thanks

Re: submodules

Reid Barton-2
Hi Simon,

This happens because the locations of the submodules are specified
using relative paths from the main GHC repository, but Tritlo has only
made a fork of the main GHC repo, not all the submodules. I would do
this:

* Clone from the main GHC repo (including submodules) however you
usually do it (e.g., git clone --recursive
https://git.haskell.org/ghc.git)
* Add Tritlo's ghc repo as a remote: git remote add tritlo
[hidden email]:Tritlo/ghc.git
* Fetch from the new remote: git fetch tritlo
* Check out the branch you want: git checkout tritlo/<branch-name>

Here "tritlo" is just a name for the remote within your local ghc
checkout, so it can be anything you choose.

Regards,
Reid Barton

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Devs
>
> I want to build a GHC from someone else repo; this one actually
> [hidden email]:Tritlo/ghc.git.
>
> But when I clone it, and then do git submodule init; git submodule update, I
> get lots of
>
> git submodule update
>
> Cloning into '.arc-linters/arcanist-external-json-linter'...
>
> ERROR: Repository not found.

> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
>
> and the repository exists.
>
> Clone of '[hidden email]:Tritlo/arcanist-external-json-linter.git' into
> submodule path '.arc-linters/arcanist-external-json-linter' failed
>
> simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/code/ghc-holes$
>
> What is the kosher way to do this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon