‘temporary’ takeover

Mateusz Kowalczyk
Hi,

I'm looking to take over the ‘temporary’ package. This is to address the
issue of any patches/fixes into ‘temporary’ not being merged in a timely
manner[1]. This caused Roman Cheplyaka to create a fork package,
‘temporary-rc’. It's less than ideal to have some packages use temporary
and others use temporary-rc (PackageImports needed…) so this is in
attempt to bring back temporary as the one true package to use here and
let the fork fall into obscurity, preferably deprecated.

The main user of temporary-rc is the popular tasty package which is
Roman's. If me/him/us both/someone (reliable/available) can take over
temporary, he seems to be willing to go back to using that instead of
the fork[2].

CCing the current maintainer. I think until Monday (27th) is a fair
notice though I point out more time elapsed on [1] without a reply.

[1]: http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2014-May/022958.html
[2]: https://github.com/feuerbach/temporary/issues/1

--
Mateusz K.

Re: ‘temporary’ takeover

Erik Hesselink
Hi Mateusz,

Sounds good. I don't think Max is active anymore [1] and many of his
other packages have been taken over in the past years. Also given that
Roman also stated his intention to take over the package more than a
year ago, I think it's no problem to transfer maintainership to you on
Monday (even though the normal term is at least 2-6 weeks). It also
seems that this is not blocking the move back to temporary, since
there's currently no difference between the two packages.

I've created an issue on the hackage trustee tracker [2] to track the takeover.

Regards,

Erik

[1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2015-April/025570.html
[2] https://github.com/haskell-infra/hackage-trustees/issues/43

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to take over the ‘temporary’ package. This is to address the
> issue of any patches/fixes into ‘temporary’ not being merged in a timely
> manner[1]. This caused Roman Cheplyaka to create a fork package,
> ‘temporary-rc’. It's less than ideal to have some packages use temporary
> and others use temporary-rc (PackageImports needed…) so this is in
> attempt to bring back temporary as the one true package to use here and
> let the fork fall into obscurity, preferably deprecated.
>
> The main user of temporary-rc is the popular tasty package which is
> Roman's. If me/him/us both/someone (reliable/available) can take over
> temporary, he seems to be willing to go back to using that instead of
> the fork[2].
>
> CCing the current maintainer. I think until Monday (27th) is a fair
> notice though I point out more time elapsed on [1] without a reply.
>
> [1]: http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2014-May/022958.html
> [2]: https://github.com/feuerbach/temporary/issues/1
>
> --
> Mateusz K.

Re: 'temporary' takeover

Michael Snoyman
Big +1 from me.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to take over the ‘temporary’ package. This is to address the
> issue of any patches/fixes into ‘temporary’ not being merged in a timely
> manner[1]. This caused Roman Cheplyaka to create a fork package,
> ‘temporary-rc’. It's less than ideal to have some packages use temporary
> and others use temporary-rc (PackageImports needed…) so this is in
> attempt to bring back temporary as the one true package to use here and
> let the fork fall into obscurity, preferably deprecated.
>
> The main user of temporary-rc is the popular tasty package which is
> Roman's. If me/him/us both/someone (reliable/available) can take over
> temporary, he seems to be willing to go back to using that instead of
> the fork[2].
>
> CCing the current maintainer. I think until Monday (27th) is a fair
> notice though I point out more time elapsed on [1] without a reply.
>
> [1]: http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2014-May/022958.html
> [2]: https://github.com/feuerbach/temporary/issues/1
>
> --
> Mateusz K.

Re: ‘temporary’ takeover

Henning Thielemann

I vote for a permanent takeover instead.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)

Re: 'temporary' takeover

Andreas Abel
+1.  I think adding trusted developers as co-maintainers for
unmaintained packages should be a rather quick process.  After all, once
something on hackage and others to depend on it, ownership has little
value in comparision to the common good of the community...

On 23.07.2015 15:34, Michael Snoyman wrote:

> Big +1 from me.
>
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 2:06 AM Erik Hesselink <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Mateusz,
>
>     Sounds good. I don't think Max is active anymore [1] and many of his
>     other packages have been taken over in the past years. Also given that
>     Roman also stated his intention to take over the package more than a
>     year ago, I think it's no problem to transfer maintainership to you on
>     Monday (even though the normal term is at least 2-6 weeks). It also
>     seems that this is not blocking the move back to temporary, since
>     there's currently no difference between the two packages.
>
>     I've created an issue on the hackage trustee tracker [2] to track
>     the takeover.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Erik
>
>     [1] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2015-April/025570.html
>     [2] https://github.com/haskell-infra/hackage-trustees/issues/43
>
>     On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk
>      > Hi,
>      >
>      > I'm looking to take over the ‘temporary’ package. This is to
>     address the
>      > issue of any patches/fixes into ‘temporary’ not being merged in a
>     timely
>      > manner[1]. This caused Roman Cheplyaka to create a fork package,
>      > ‘temporary-rc’. It's less than ideal to have some packages use
>     temporary
>      > and others use temporary-rc (PackageImports needed…) so this is in
>      > attempt to bring back temporary as the one true package to use
>     here and
>      > let the fork fall into obscurity, preferably deprecated.
>      >
>      > The main user of temporary-rc is the popular tasty package which is
>      > Roman's. If me/him/us both/someone (reliable/available) can take over
>      > temporary, he seems to be willing to go back to using that instead of
>      > the fork[2].
>      >
>      > CCing the current maintainer. I think until Monday (27th) is a fair
>      > notice though I point out more time elapsed on [1] without a reply.
>      >
>      > [1]: http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2014-May/022958.html
>      > [2]: https://github.com/feuerbach/temporary/issues/1
>      >
>      > --
>      > Mateusz K.
>      > Libraries mailing list
>      > http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/libraries

http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/

Re: 'temporary' takeover

Erik Hesselink
Well, there is the takeover policy [1], which tries to balance the
good of the community with the sense of ownership package developers
have. I think that, combined with the ability of trustees to do quick
fixes, we're in pretty good shape to avoid both breakage of the
package ecosystem and at the same time giving people enough ownership
rights of their packages on hackage.

Regards,

Erik

[1] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Andreas Abel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> of
>>      > the fork[2].
>>      >
>>      > CCing the current maintainer. I think until Monday (27th) is a fair
>>      > notice though I point out more time elapsed on [1] without a reply.
>>      >
>>      > [1]:
>> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2014-May/022958.html
>>      > [2]: https://github.com/feuerbach/temporary/issues/1
>>      >
>>      > --
>>      > Mateusz K.
>>      > Libraries mailing list
>>      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>      > http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/libraries

> Andreas Abel  <><      Du bist der geliebte Mensch.

> Chalmers and Gothenburg University, Sweden

Re: 'temporary' takeover

Edward Kmett-2
+1 here