the cmm pages on the wiki seem out of date

the cmm pages on the wiki seem out of date

Carter Schonwald
Hey all, I've been staring at the cmm primop code in ghc over the past week
to understand a number of things, and I was just today looking at the
current cmm documentation on the ghc wiki.

specifically i've been looking at
https://github.com/ghc/ghc/blob/master/compiler/cmm/Cmm.hs
https://github.com/ghc/ghc/blob/master/compiler/cmm/CmmParse.y
and
https://github.com/ghc/ghc/blob/master/rts/PrimOps.cmm

versus the wiki docs
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Compiler/CmmType

it looks like CMM supports a nicer function definition convention than the
wiki implies.
(and presumably that also would hold  for the ffi for calling user written
cmm code too?)

If the wiki is out of date, i'm happy to make a first pass at trying to add
this info somewhere,

thanks
-Carter
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

the cmm pages on the wiki seem out of date

Edward Z. Yang
Yes, there were some pretty recent (as in, not present in 7.6) improvements
to C-- syntax.  Updates would be much appreciated; you can probably figure out
what the changes are by snooping the changelogs for compiler/cmm.

Edward

Excerpts from Carter Schonwald's message of Fri Apr 05 20:37:23 -0700 2013:

> Hey all, I've been staring at the cmm primop code in ghc over the past week
> to understand a number of things, and I was just today looking at the
> current cmm documentation on the ghc wiki.
>
> specifically i've been looking at
> https://github.com/ghc/ghc/blob/master/compiler/cmm/Cmm.hs
> https://github.com/ghc/ghc/blob/master/compiler/cmm/CmmParse.y
> and
> https://github.com/ghc/ghc/blob/master/rts/PrimOps.cmm
>
> versus the wiki docs
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Compiler/CmmType
>
> it looks like CMM supports a nicer function definition convention than the
> wiki implies.
> (and presumably that also would hold  for the ffi for calling user written
> cmm code too?)
>

> If the wiki is out of date, i'm happy to make a first pass at trying to add
> this info somewhere,
>
> thanks
> -Carter

the cmm pages on the wiki seem out of date

Simon Peyton Jones
Simon Marlow is the man who will really know.  He's in the middle of getting to grips with Facebook but I'm sure he'll pop up soon.

In general, yes please do update the wiki; thank you.

Simon

Simon Marlow-7
A quick answer is that I put some documentation at the top of
compiler/cmm/CmmParse.y that explains the new syntax.  That should help
you get to grips with the changes.