tweaking text on the ghc downloads page

Gershom Bazerman
I know there is a plan for some broader ghc webpage redesign.

In the meantime, apparently people find the current "Stop" text terribly troublesome. This is because, of course, it points to the platform and now some people believe that a minimal distribution is more usable, etc.

Just to take this issue off the agenda, I would like, if there are no objections, to just change that text as follows.

Current:

"Stop!

For most users, we recommend installing the _Haskell Platform_ instead of GHC. The current Haskell Platform release includes a recent GHC release as well as some other tools (such as cabal), and a larger set of libraries that are known to work together."

Proposed:

"Stop!

For most users, we recommend installing _a proper distribution_ instead of just GHC. A distribution includes a recent GHC release as well as other important tools (such as cabal, for installing libraries), and potentially a broader set of libraries known to work together."

And where before the "Haskell Platform" text would link to of course the platform page, the new "proper distribution" text would now link to https://www.haskell.org/downloads where we could then argue to our heart's content about the best way to present the various download and installation options as we go forward.

So, this doesn't resolve any controversy, but it at least centralizes it.

If there's no objection, I'll try to get to this tomorrow?

--Gershom

Re: tweaking text on the ghc downloads page

Michael Snoyman
One point I've seen users confused about in the past is that some guides recommend downloading GHC directly as part of setting up a full distribution, e.g.:

https://www.haskell.org/downloads/linux (manual install)

I'd take the STOP out entirely, and just give a link to the /downloads page, to avoid this confusion. The rest of your text looks spot on to me, it's literally the one word "STOP" that seems to have people out of sorts most often.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 5:54 PM Gershom B <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Simon Peyton Jones

I’m ok with all of this, but I’d like just to check with Mark L to see how he suggests signposting the HP

Simon

RE: tweaking text on the ghc downloads page

Gershom Bazerman
Sure. Ccing him on this thread now.

(Note that we’re having a seperate discussion he’s involved with on -infra about signposting the HP and other options on the haskell.org/downloads page — so this is in a sense, about just making sure we only have the one big bikeshed to color rather than many little ones :-P)

—Gershom

On June 26, 2015 at 11:03:33 AM, Simon Peyton Jones ([hidden email]) wrote:

> I’m ok with all of this, but I’d like just to check with Mark L to see how he suggests signposting
> the HP
>
> Simon

Ok, this is now done. Rather than “Stop” it now says the hopefully slightly less confusing “Take Notice,” and the text is otherwise as I proposed.

I agree that this is only a tiny step in a more general streamining of this whole process.

Cheers,
Gershom