universal binary version of Haskell Platform?

universal binary version of Haskell Platform?

Benjamin L. Russell
Recently, in changing my work schedule to work mainly from home, I
switched from mainly using a work Wintel machine running Windows XP
Professional, Service Pack 3, to mainly using my home PowerPC G4
PowerBook Macintosh, currently upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard.

However, to my surprise, there does not seem to be a version of the
Haskell Platform that runs natively on my current OS.

Does anybody know where to find a universal binary version of the
Haskell Platform, or at least of GHC 6.10.4?  Otherwise, I'm stuck
without a native version.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
--
Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/

Re: universal binary version of Haskell Platform?

Duncan Coutts-4
On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 14:05 +0900, Benjamin L.Russell wrote:

> Recently, in changing my work schedule to work mainly from home, I
> switched from mainly using a work Wintel machine running Windows XP
> Professional, Service Pack 3, to mainly using my home PowerPC G4
> PowerBook Macintosh, currently upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard.
>
> However, to my surprise, there does not seem to be a version of the
> Haskell Platform that runs natively on my current OS.
>
> Does anybody know where to find a universal binary version of the
> Haskell Platform, or at least of GHC 6.10.4?  Otherwise, I'm stuck
> without a native version.

There no binary platform installer for OSX PPC. You'll have to grab
ghc-6.10.4 for PPC from the ghc download page and then install the
platform from the generic source tarball.

If you'd like to help us next time to make a platform binary for PPC
then that'd be great. I don't think we have the setup to make universal
binaries but it should be possible to make a PPC build if we have a
volunteer.

Duncan

Re: universal binary version of Haskell Platform?

Benjamin L. Russell
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:52:35 +0000, Duncan Coutts
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
>
>There no binary platform installer for OSX PPC. You'll have to grab
>ghc-6.10.4 for PPC from the ghc download page and then install the
>platform from the generic source tarball.

Ah, that's too bad.  That means that I won't be able to invoke GHC
outside of the Terminal application by default, and that even if I
create a Darwin shell script and alias to invoke it from Aqua, the
icon for that shell script will only be generic by default.  I'd
rather click on an application icon in the Dock.

>If you'd like to help us next time to make a platform binary for PPC
>then that'd be great. I don't think we have the setup to make universal
>binaries but it should be possible to make a PPC build if we have a
>volunteer.

Sure, barring job-related time constraints, I'd be happy to volunteer.
My Mac just went out of service because of a hardware problem with the
memory, so I'm order new replacement RAM this weekend.  As soon as
that arrives and I install it, the problem should be resolved.

What should I do?

-- Benjamin L. Russell

Re: universal binary version of Haskell Platform?

Heinrich Apfelmus
Benjamin L.Russell wrote:
> Ah, that's too bad.  That means that I won't be able to invoke GHC
> outside of the Terminal application by default, and that even if I
> create a Darwin shell script and alias to invoke it from Aqua, the
> icon for that shell script will only be generic by default.  I'd
> rather click on an application icon in the Dock.

You can write an applescript similar to

    Open Terminal Here
    from http://www.entropy.ch/software/applescript/

and endow it with a custom icon.