upgrading visual studio integration to use 6.8.2....

upgrading visual studio integration to use 6.8.2....

Nicholls, Mark

I’ve just downloaded the vs integration package….which looks great….but it comes with 6.6.1, and I was hoping to move to 6.8.2….does anyone know how to do this?

Lead Broadcast and Corporate Architect

Technology London

(44) 0207 284 7596

Re: upgrading visual studio integration to use 6.8.2....

Simon Marlow-5
Nicholls, Mark wrote:
> I’ve just downloaded the vs integration package….which looks great….but
> it comes with 6.6.1, and I was hoping to move to 6.8.2….does anyone know
> how to do this?

No, someone needs to rebuild Visual Haskell using 6.8.2, and test it etc.
There have been lots of changes in both the GHC API and Cabal, so I expect
it will not be a straightforward recompile.  Also building Visual Haskell
itself is no mean feat.

We'd love it if someone were able to take this on.  The code for Visual
Haskell is available at http://darcs.haskell.org/vshaskell.

Also, we need to update it for VS 2008...

RE: upgrading visual studio integration to use 6.8.2....

Nicholls, Mark
Ahhh ok....in eclipse it was trivial.....but I'd much prefer it to be in
VS.

> I've just downloaded the vs integration package....which looks
great....but
> it comes with 6.6.1, and I was hoping to move to 6.8.2....does anyone
know
> how to do this?

No, someone needs to rebuild Visual Haskell using 6.8.2, and test it
etc.
There have been lots of changes in both the GHC API and Cabal, so I
expect
it will not be a straightforward recompile.  Also building Visual
Haskell
itself is no mean feat.

We'd love it if someone were able to take this on.  The code for Visual
Haskell is available at http://darcs.haskell.org/vshaskell.

Also, we need to update it for VS 2008...

Re: upgrading visual studio integration to use 6.8.2....

Krasimir Angelov-2
The hard work is to integrate it with the new version of Cabal. The
problem is that the configurations model that Cabal employs can't be
easily matched with the configurations in Visual Studio. For the new
GHC versions I expect that the changes will be more trivial.

Cheers,
  Krasimir

On Dec 13, 2007 6:23 PM, Nicholls, Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ahhh ok....in eclipse it was trivial.....but I'd much prefer it to be in
> VS.

Hi Krasimir,

Yes, I'm sure that's true.  I suspect the best way is for Visual Haskell to
  add its own configuration sections to the .cabal file, and recognise them
when they are already there.

Understanding the .cabal file is not a problem, but we also have to be able
to modify it, for example when the user adds a module.  In the presence of
configurations this could be tricky, but for the complex cases where we
can't figure out how to modify it we can just require the user to edit the
.cabal file by hand (since presumably it wasn't generated by Visual Haskell
in the first place anyway).

BTW, I was recently made aware of "Visual Studio Shell":

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vsx2008/products/bb933751.aspx

This is a freely redistributable Visual Studio installer that includes no
language support, but allows plugins.  In theory at least Visual Haskell
ought to run on top of it.  So then a complete Visual Haskell would be
available for free.  Are you (or anyone else) interested in looking into this?

Krasimir Angelov wrote:

> The hard work is to integrate it with the new version of Cabal. The
> problem is that the configurations model that Cabal employs can't be
> easily matched with the configurations in Visual Studio. For the new
> GHC versions I expect that the changes will be more trivial.
>
> Cheers,
>   Krasimir
>
> On Dec 13, 2007 6:23 PM, Nicholls, Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ahhh ok....in eclipse it was trivial.....but I'd much prefer it to be in
>> VS.

sethk
Wouldn't an eclipse plug in make more sense?  (Unless one exists that I'm unaware of.)

--
Seth Kurtzberg <[hidden email]>

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:46:14 +0000
Simon Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Krasimir,
>
> Yes, I'm sure that's true.  I suspect the best way is for Visual Haskell to
>   add its own configuration sections to the .cabal file, and recognise them
> when they are already there.
>
> Understanding the .cabal file is not a problem, but we also have to be able
> to modify it, for example when the user adds a module.  In the presence of
> configurations this could be tricky, but for the complex cases where we
> can't figure out how to modify it we can just require the user to edit the
> .cabal file by hand (since presumably it wasn't generated by Visual Haskell
> in the first place anyway).
>
> BTW, I was recently made aware of "Visual Studio Shell":
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vsx2008/products/bb933751.aspx
>
> This is a freely redistributable Visual Studio installer that includes no
> language support, but allows plugins.  In theory at least Visual Haskell
> ought to run on top of it.  So then a complete Visual Haskell would be
> available for free.  Are you (or anyone else) interested in looking into this?
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>
> Krasimir Angelov wrote:
> > The hard work is to integrate it with the new version of Cabal. The
> > problem is that the configurations model that Cabal employs can't be
> > easily matched with the configurations in Visual Studio. For the new
> > GHC versions I expect that the changes will be more trivial.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >   Krasimir
> >
> > On Dec 13, 2007 6:23 PM, Nicholls, Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Ahhh ok....in eclipse it was trivial.....but I'd much prefer it to be in
> >> VS.

Bayley, Alistair-2
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
> Of Seth Kurtzberg
>
> Wouldn't an eclipse plug in make more sense?  (Unless one
> exists that I'm unaware of.)

http://eclipsefp.sourceforge.net/

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is

On Dec 14, 2007 4:46 PM, Simon Marlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> BTW, I was recently made aware of "Visual Studio Shell":
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vsx2008/products/bb933751.aspx
>
> This is a freely redistributable Visual Studio installer that includes no
> language support, but allows plugins.  In theory at least Visual Haskell
> ought to run on top of it.  So then a complete Visual Haskell would be
> available for free.  Are you (or anyone else) interested in looking into this?

This is great! I don't have time at the moment but I might try in the
beginning of the next year.

Cheers,
   Krasimir

Re: upgrading visual studio integration to use 6.8.2....

sethk
Thanks.