upstream repos and wiki's "Workflow with validate"

upstream repos and wiki's "Workflow with validate"

Nicolas Frisby
Hi all. I'm prepping for my first GHC commit, so I'm paying attention to
all the details.

I'm following the workflow described here

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/Git#Workflowwithvalidate

And I have a couple questions. Ultimately, I'm wondering if I'm doing
something wrong or if those commands on that wiki page are either
out-of-date or don't list some prerequisites.

Question #1

When I run

  ./sync-all new

The output shows lots of commits from the upstream repositories.

  * Is there a sync-all switch to avoid that somehow?

  * Is ./sync-all push going to push those? That'd be bad.

Question #2

I omit dph from my working tree. Consequently, I think, sync-all in the
validate tree chokes on some of the commands from that's wiki page's
workflow (eg ./sync-all new). This choking prevents it from executing the
command on the repos that come after dph in the list (ie the top-level GHC
repo). Adding --no-dph doesn't seem to help here.

Are there any known pitfalls here that I may have tripped into? Or perhaps
some flags I could add to my command lines?

Else, it seems that adding dph to my working repo is necessary for
validation with this suggested workflow.

Thank you for your time.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

upstream repos and wiki's "Workflow with validate"

Simon Marlow-7
On 28/03/13 08:04, Nicolas Frisby wrote:

> Hi all. I'm prepping for my first GHC commit, so I'm paying attention to
> all the details.
> I'm following the workflow described here
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/Git#Workflowwithvalidate
> And I have a couple questions. Ultimately, I'm wondering if I'm doing
> something wrong or if those commands on that wiki page are either
> out-of-date or don't list some prerequisites.
> Question #1
> When I run
>    ./sync-all new
> The output shows lots of commits from the upstream repositories.

Yes, this command doesn't work as well as it used to since we switched
to using subrepos for some libraries.  I haven't looked into why that
is, but I'm sure there will be some git magic to work around the problem.

>    * Is there a sync-all switch to avoid that somehow?
>    * Is ./sync-all push going to push those? That'd be bad.

FWIW, I've never been brave enough to use sync-all push, I always push
individual repos.