Quantcast

using of data types as kinds

Bulat Ziganshin
Hello ,

in the HCAR GHC team wrote "On the type system front, we hope to ...
Allow you to use data types as kinds, in a manner similar to Tim
Sheard▓s Omega language". can someone point me where i can read about
this?

 Bulat                          mailto:[hidden email]

RE: using of data types as kinds

Simon Peyton Jones
Read about Omega!

I have not written anything about what I plan to do in GHC, but basically it amounts to allowing you to use a data type as a kind.  Busy doing GADTs and impredicativity at the moment though

Simon

Gregory Woodhouse

--- Simon Peyton-Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Read about Omega!

I will.

> Busy doing GADTs and impredicativity at the moment though

Impredicativity?

===
Gregory Woodhouse  <[hidden email]>

"Interaction is the mind-body problem of computing."

--Philip Wadler

Re[2]: using of data types as kinds

Bulat Ziganshin
Hello Greg,

>> Busy doing GADTs and impredicativity at the moment though
>>

GW> Impredicativity?

just in the case you don't have time to read HCAR ;) some excerpt from
there:

2.1  The Glasgow Haskell Compiler

There is lots more in the works:

We are planning to use darcs (>6.6) instead of CVS for GHC.

On the type system front, we hope to extend GHC’s higher-rank type
system to incorporate impredicative types:
http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/boxy/,

fix the GADT implementation to work nicely with type classes,

Allow you to use data types as kinds, in a manner similar to Tim
Sheard’s Omega language.

We are planning to release GHC 6.6 some time in the next six months.
This will include the parallel version of GHC.

Re[2]: using of data types as kinds

Bulat Ziganshin
Hello Simon,

SPJ> I have not written anything about what I plan to do in GHC, but
SPJ> basically it amounts to allowing you to use a data type as a
SPJ> kind.  Busy doing GADTs and impredicativity at the moment though

Simon, i can't download file

http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/boxy/boxy-pldi.ps.gz

reffered at http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/boxy/

Re: using of data types as kinds

Kyra-3
Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

>Hello Simon,
>
>Tuesday, November 22, 2005, 8:17:38 PM, you wrote:
>
>SPJ> I have not written anything about what I plan to do in GHC, but
>SPJ> basically it amounts to allowing you to use a data type as a
>SPJ> kind.  Busy doing GADTs and impredicativity at the moment though
>
>Simon, i can't download file
>
>http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/boxy/boxy-pldi.ps.gz
>
>reffered at http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/boxy/

Google gives http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~dimitriv/boxy/boxy.ps

RE: Re[2]: using of data types as kinds

Simon Peyton Jones
Sorry should be fixed now (or shortly when the mirror does its stuff)

Simon