validate-x86_64-darwin failing

Richard Eisenberg-5
Hi devs,

validate-x86_64-darwin seems to be failing. I've restarted it when I came across the failure, but several small patches last night tripped on this.

Richard

Re: validate-x86_64-darwin failing

Ben Gamari-2
Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi devs,
>
> validate-x86_64-darwin seems to be failing. I've restarted it when I
> came across the failure, but several small patches last night tripped
> on this.

Which jobs in particular failed? I looked through the recent job list
[1] but all Darwin jobs in the last 10 pages of jobs were either skipped
(due to another job failing) or passing.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/jobs

Re: validate-x86_64-darwin failing

Ben Gamari-2
Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> writes:

> Here's one: https://gitlab.haskell.org/rae/ghc/-/jobs/173464
> <https://gitlab.haskell.org/rae/ghc/-/jobs/173464> I don't know if you
> can get more information...

Right, this particular job simply timed out (e.g. waited 10 hours)
before a Darwin builder became available. It's not an indication of a
failure, merely that we are underprovisioned on the Darwin front.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: validate-x86_64-darwin failing

Richard Eisenberg-5

> On Oct 13, 2019, at 6:38 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Here's one: https://gitlab.haskell.org/rae/ghc/-/jobs/173464
>> <https://gitlab.haskell.org/rae/ghc/-/jobs/173464> I don't know if you
>> can get more information...
>>
> Right, this particular job simply timed out (e.g. waited 10 hours)
> before a Darwin builder became available. It's not an indication of a
> failure, merely that we are underprovisioned on the Darwin front.

That was my guess. But how often does this happen? Does this failure mean we should make the darwin build somehow optional? Increase the timeout? Any fragility in our CI infrastructure is damaging: it slows the acceptance of otherwise-ready patches and contributes to a "broken windows" effect encouraging developers to ignore CI failures. Conversely, how expensive would it be to improve our darwin provisioning?

Thanks,
Richard

> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Re: validate-x86_64-darwin failing

Brandon Allbery
Apple makes that annoyingly difficult; someone has to in effect donate a Mac to the cause, preferably one with enough memory and fast CPU. (Not literally: one can keep the Mac physically, but would more or less lose use of it for any other purpose.)

Re: validate-x86_64-darwin failing

Carter Schonwald
We are in slow process of reprovisioning 1-2 new builders.  One of our active builders had pretty bad hardware issues so for near term we’re down in mac builder capacity