whats with cabal and libgmp.so.3

Rustom Mody
Today cabal suddenly started giving me errors that libgmp.so.3 is not found
Moving away my old .cabal makes it work again

Any explanations?

[I am on debian testing. I think the causing factor was that debian switched major versions recently.
There were a lot of updates... Nothing that looked like it was related to ghc]

Re: whats with cabal and libgmp.so.3

Tobias Dammers
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 01:16:44PM +0530, Rustom Mody wrote:
> Today cabal suddenly started giving me errors that libgmp.so.3 is not found
> Moving away my old .cabal makes it work again
>
> Any explanations?
>
> [I am on debian testing. I think the causing factor was that debian
> switched major versions recently.
> There were a lot of updates... Nothing that looked like it was related to
> ghc]

That could very well be the cause. My guess is that jessie has a
different libgmp than wheezy. The stuff in your .cabal was linked
against the version from wheezy, but now it's gone because of the dist
upgrade (of which cabal is unaware); recompiling everything and linking
against the new version fixes it.

If you want to be sure, see if apt updated libgmp as part of the dist
upgrade.