whhaskell on osx 10.5

Kirk Peterson
I had a difficult time getting wxhaskell installed and working on a
mac running os x 10.5. I did a quick write up of the process I got
working here:

http://necrobious.blogspot.com/2008/05/wxhaskell-go-go.html

Im pretty new to haskell, so if if you see anything that needs
correcting please let me know, hope this helps

cheers,
-kirk

Re: whhaskell on osx 10.5

Marc Weber
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:38:14PM -0700, Kirk Peterson wrote:
> I had a difficult time getting wxhaskell installed and working on a
> mac running os x 10.5. I did a quick write up of the process I got
> working here:
>
> http://necrobious.blogspot.com/2008/05/wxhaskell-go-go.html
$ cd ../samples/wx
$ ghc -package wx -o helloworld HelloWorld.hs
$ /opt/local/bin/macosx-app -v helloworld
$ open helloworld.app

I've never used a Mac.. Why do you run macosx-app ?

Doesn't
$ ./helloworld
work?

Marc Weber

Re: whhaskell on osx 10.5

Reinier Lamers-2
Op Tuesday 20 May 2008 23:23:57 schreef Marc Weber:

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:38:14PM -0700, Kirk Peterson wrote:
> > I had a difficult time getting wxhaskell installed and working on a
> > mac running os x 10.5. I did a quick write up of the process I got
> > working here:
> >
> > http://necrobious.blogspot.com/2008/05/wxhaskell-go-go.html
>
> $ cd ../samples/wx
> $ ghc -package wx -o helloworld HelloWorld.hs
> $ /opt/local/bin/macosx-app -v helloworld
> $ open helloworld.app
>
> I've never used a Mac.. Why do you run macosx-app ?
>
> Doesn't
> $ ./helloworld
> work?
It works, but it doesn't look right. The nice colory drop-like
minimization/maximization buttons are missing, for example. At least, that's
my experience using wxHaskell on the Mac (OS X 10.4).

Reinier

Re: whhaskell on osx 10.5

Kirk Peterson
just running:
$ ./helloworld

will work fine on windows and linux, under mac os, I ran into issues
with window focus and click events not firing. Upon  looking further,
I found this page on the wxhaskell site:
http://wxhaskell.sourceforge.net/building-macosx.html

which explains the need to the macosx-app step in compiling a
whhaskell app, and why I include it in my example. Hope this helps.

cheers,
-kirk

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Marc Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:38:14PM -0700, Kirk Peterson wrote:
>> I had a difficult time getting wxhaskell installed and working on a
>> mac running os x 10.5. I did a quick write up of the process I got
>> working here:
>>
>> http://necrobious.blogspot.com/2008/05/wxhaskell-go-go.html
> $ cd ../samples/wx
> $ ghc -package wx -o helloworld HelloWorld.hs
> $ /opt/local/bin/macosx-app -v helloworld
> $ open helloworld.app
>
> I've never used a Mac.. Why do you run macosx-app ?
>
> Doesn't
> $ ./helloworld
> work?
>
> Marc Weber

Re: whhaskell on osx 10.5

Benjamin L. Russell
wxHaskell - Building - MacOS X (http://wxhaskell.sourceforge.net/building-macosx.html):

> Due to complicated MacOS X restrictions, graphical wxHaskell applications do not work
> directly when used from GHCi. Fortunately, Wolfgang Thaller has kindly provided an
> ingenious Haskell module that solves this problem. Just import the (compiled) module
> EnableGUI in your program and issue the following command to run main from your GHCi
> prompt:
>
> > enableGUI >> main

Is there any estimated date on getting graphical wxHaskell applications to work directly when used from GHCi?

Benjamin L. Russell