x86_64 dynamic / PIC

Donn Cave-4
I'm trying to get GHC 8.6.3 running on 64-bit Haiku, cross compiling from
32-bit Haiku.  (UNIX-like OS, gcc 7.)

The build died when it started trying link up 64 bit .dyn_o, with

 ld.bfd: utils/hsc2hs/dist-install/build/Main.dyn_o:  relocation R_X86_64_PC32 can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

But it appears to me that gcc is already configured to use -fPIC with cc1.  (Both 32 bit and 64 bit cross-compiler.)  And so is ghc-stage1.

So I suspect the suggested remedy isn't going to get me very far.  Anyone have an idea how to proceed?

thanks!
        Donn