xmonad as WM for Gnome 3 in Debian jessie

xmonad as WM for Gnome 3 in Debian jessie

Thomas Koch
Hi,

I'm installing a new machine with debian jessie which comes with xmonad 0.11
and gnome 3.14. On debian wheezy I could easily use xmonad as the window
manager for gnome. Has anybody managed to do the same with a more recent gnome
(classic)? What would be a good strategy to try?

I've opened a debian bug about this:

Thomas Koch

xmonad as WM for Gnome 3 in Debian jessie

Brandon Allbery
On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 5:50 AM, Thomas Koch <thomas at koch.ro> wrote:

> I'm installing a new machine with debian jessie which comes with xmonad
> 0.11
> and gnome 3.14. On debian wheezy I could easily use xmonad as the window
> manager for gnome. Has anybody managed to do the same with a more recent
> gnome
> (classic)? What would be a good strategy to try?

It can't be done. The way it worked in older versions is it ran Gnome 2
instead; this ("gnome-fallback") was removed in Gnome 3.8. Gnome 3 itself
has never supported using anything but gnome-shell as the window manager,
and the Gnome developers have made it clear that it never will.

You may want to try using xmonad with Mat?; that, being a supported fork of
Gnome 2, should be configurable to resemble the old fallback mode.

allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

xmonad as WM for Gnome 3 in Debian jessie

Alexandre Medeiros
On 6 December 2014 at 11:10, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> You may want to try using xmonad with Mat?; that, being a supported fork of
> Gnome 2, should be configurable to resemble the old fallback mode.

I am currently using xmonad as WM for XFCE and it works fine and it is
easy to configure. I also tried it with LXDE and it worked well.

Alexandre Medeiros
Institute of Computing - University of Campinas
BSc Computer Science Student
GNU/Linux user #562691
http://alemedeiros.sdf.org/