xmonad monitor resolution

Dusan Popovic
Hi,

I have replaced old 1680x1050 monitor with the new one which works at
1920x1080 resolution.

I am running everything on arch so latest xorg, xmonad and
xmonad-contrib available in repos. Not using xorg.conf at all.

Xorg properly detects resolution so xmobar and feh use whole monitor
area to show bar and wallpaper. Xrandr also shows proper resolution.

So it all works well until I open any window, or several of them: they
tile like there is still 1680x1050 monitor; top left coordinate of the
tiling area starts right below xmobar (it is at the right position) but
there is unused gap on the right and bottom (exact difference between
old/new monitor resolution). It is like xmonad remembered old resolution
somewhere and sticks with it no matter what I try.

I also tried i3 and it detects/uses whole screen area properly.

I have also recompiled xmonad.hs but nothing changed.

Help? Thanks.

Re: xmonad monitor resolution

Adam Sjøgren
Dusan writes:

> So it all works well until I open any window, or several of them: they
> tile like there is still 1680x1050 monitor; top left coordinate of the
> tiling area starts right below xmobar (it is at the right position) but
> there is unused gap on the right and bottom (exact difference between
> old/new monitor resolution). It is like xmonad remembered old resolution
> somewhere and sticks with it no matter what I try.

Could you try deleting ~/.xmonad/xmonad.state (and possibly restarting
xmonad), and see if that helps?

See also https://github.com/xmonad/xmonad/issues/86

It sounds like symptoms I've had when going from 1 monitor to 2 (with
the same home directory).

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Debate Two - The Thrilla In Vanilla"                        Adam Sjøgren

Re: xmonad monitor resolution

Dave Macias
I had the exact same issue on my laptop two weeks ago. I thought it was because i had broken xorg (fixed now). But the serial state file would make sense since i sync my ~/.xmonad/ folder between work comp (1680x1050) and personal laptop (1920x1080). Need to get back into my laptop and deleting the state file and see what happens.

will report back...
thanks