xmonad on ubuntu desktop environment

Steve Quezadas
Hello, I got a new computer and install ubuntu to 18.04 (Bionic Beaver).
When i login through xmonad, my ubuntu desktop environment disappears,
it's all black. No wallpaper, no tray, no nothing. My xmonad.hs file is
as follows:
 > import XMonad
 > import XMonad.Config.Desktop
 >
 > baseConfig = desktopConfig
 >
 > main = xmonad baseConfig
 >    { modMask = mod4Mask }

This config file worked with my previous version of ubuntu and now just
loads a black screen. I can get into my terminal window by doing a
mod-shift-enter and that's how I get around, but I would like to get
back into the ubuntu tray (mod-p, for instance).

I tried an alternative configuration on one of the wiki's to no avail.
 > import XMonad import
 > XMonad.Config.Gnome
 >
 > main = xmonad gnomeConfig

Tried googling, checking the wiki's and going through the documentation
to no avail.

I am thinking maybe there's some error on the logs or something that I
can check. or is there something that I'm doing that is obviously wrong?

- Steve

Re: xmonad on ubuntu desktop environment

Brandon Allbery
This has less to do with xmonad than with your display manager session; an xmonad session will be xmonad itself, not all the stuff that comes with Gnome. And simply using a Gnome compatibility config won't cause Ubuntu login to start a Gnome session with xmonad for you.

This is complicated by Gnome 3 being incompatible with alternative window managers; most of its functionality is in gnome-shell, including the window manager component, and you can't replace the window manager without ditching gnome-shell entirely. The Gnome developers have no intention of changing this. You may be able to run gnome-panel standalone without it trying to start gnome-shell, but you have to do that separately. It's easier to do this with more component-oriented desktops like MATE and XFCE.

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 12:31 PM Steve Quezadas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, I got a new computer and install ubuntu to 18.04 (Bionic Beaver).
When i login through xmonad, my ubuntu desktop environment disappears,
it's all black. No wallpaper, no tray, no nothing. My xmonad.hs file is
as follows:
 > import XMonad
 > import XMonad.Config.Desktop
 >
 > baseConfig = desktopConfig
 >
 > main = xmonad baseConfig
 >    { modMask = mod4Mask }

This config file worked with my previous version of ubuntu and now just
loads a black screen. I can get into my terminal window by doing a
mod-shift-enter and that's how I get around, but I would like to get
back into the ubuntu tray (mod-p, for instance).

I tried an alternative configuration on one of the wiki's to no avail.
 > import XMonad import
 > XMonad.Config.Gnome
 >
 > main = xmonad gnomeConfig

Tried googling, checking the wiki's and going through the documentation
to no avail.

I am thinking maybe there's some error on the logs or something that I
can check. or is there something that I'm doing that is obviously wrong?

- Steve

brandon s allbery kf8nh

Re: xmonad on ubuntu desktop environment

Adam Sjøgren
Steve writes:

> Hello, I got a new computer and install ubuntu to 18.04 (Bionic
> Beaver). When i login through xmonad, my ubuntu desktop environment
> disappears, it's all black. No wallpaper, no tray, no nothing.

What happens if you choose the "GNOME Flashback (Xmonad)" session when
logging in, instead of the "XMonad" session?

The xmonad package in Ubuntu includes two xsessions, one with xmonad
only and one with "GNOME Flashback" (which I guess means fallback) and
xmonad:

 · https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/xmonad/filelist

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Och när jag blundar hörs din röst                           Adam Sjøgren
  Jag kan inte se ditt ansikte                           [hidden email]

Re: xmonad on ubuntu desktop environment

Brandon Allbery
"Flashback" is someone forking and maintaining the old "fallback" package, which was discontinued upstream after Gnome 3.6. It's actually Gnome 2 underneath; Gnome 3 has never supported alternative window managers directly, "gnome-fallback" instead forced a Gnome 3-like theme onto Gnome 2.