xmonad with emacs

Steve Quezadas
Hello,

I am using xmonad and so far I love it! However, there seems to be a
keybinding conflict (I think) with emacs. Control-space is the
"set-mark-command" option in emacs and it does not seem to work when
xmonad is present. The alternative keybind (Control-@) seems to work
though. When I take xmonad off, the keybind works again.

Not sure what is going on, I checked the FAQ and the maillist history
and no one seems to be having this problem which is strange since
emacs is a fairly common program

My config file is fairly straightforward:
import XMonad
import XMonad.Config.Gnome

main = xmonad gnomeConfig
         { modMask = mod4Mask -- Use Super instead of Alt
         -- more changes
         }

I am using Ubuntu 14.04.2 with xmonad version 0.11

Has anyone used xmonad with emacs before? I remapped the meta key to
the super key, thinking that this may cause the conflict but it didn't
fix it.

- Steve

xmonad with emacs

Brandon Allbery
On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Steve Quezadas <steve at thestever.net> wrote:

> I am using xmonad and so far I love it! However, there seems to be a
> keybinding conflict (I think) with emacs. Control-space is the
> "set-mark-command" option in emacs and it does not seem to work when
> xmonad is present. The alternative keybind (Control-@) seems to work
> though. When I take xmonad off, the keybind works again.

What's the other window manager / desktop environment? My guess is it loads
a different keymap which sets up control-space to produce NUL.

allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

xmonad with emacs

Steve Quezadas
Oh, sorry, I meant to reply to the list, not you individually! The
"reply to" command is not working right for some reason. I will check
when I get home to see if my windows manager is somehow mucking things up.

- Steve

On 4/14/2015 11:50 AM, Tikhon Jelvis wrote:

> Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed the `-- more changes' comment was a placeholder
> for, well, more changes! If that's all you have, it's probably an issue
> with something besides XMonad itself?Brandon's suggestion sounds
> plausible. I'm not sure how to check that myself, I'm afraid.
>
> Also, I don't know if you did this on purpose, but you only sent this
> message to me, not to the whole list. Keeping the conversation on the
> list proper could be useful because other people might be able to help.
> (It's something it took me a while to get used to myself, and I'm still
> not too certain on good list etiquette :P.)
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Steve Quezadas <steve at thestever.net
> <mailto:steve at thestever.net>> wrote:
>
>         Interesting. I've used Emacs with XMonad and never had this problem.
>
>         Are you running Emacs in X mode or in a terminal emulator? Also,
>         what
>         happens if you try this with as close to a stock XMonad as possible:
>         comment out all the parts of your config except for the modMask
>         setting.
>

>     I am using xmonad is x mode (I think, I'm basically using a
>     graphical user interface). My config is as stock as they come. This
>     is the whole thing:
>
>              import XMonad
>              import XMonad.Config.Gnome
>
>              main = xmonad gnomeConfig
>                       { modMask = mod4Mask -- Use Super instead of Alt
>                       -- more changes
>                       }
>

>     The only one line that's differnt is the modMask line which remaps
>     the "alt" key to "super" key for xmonad stuff.
>
>     - Steve

xmonad with emacs

Steve Quezadas
Ok, I found out the conflict that I thought was attributable to xmonad.
As a reminder, "control-space" is a keybinding under emacs for the
set-mark-command feature which allows a user to select text. For some
reason, control-space wasn't working when emacs was under x-monad, but
was working when it was using Ubuntu unity.

Actually, the conflict over the keybinding happened with ibus. ibus
somehow maps control-space and prevents emacs from using that key
command. When I disabled ibus, the problem stopped. so it wasn't
xmonad's fault.

I am putting this on the maillist just in case other people have this
problem, they can look it up through keywords or whatever.

- Steve

PS I really LOVE x-monad. It's so much more efficient with larger
monitors. Keep up the good work guys!